120f in Phoenix Today

120f in Phoenix Today

Forums The Cloud Forum 120f in Phoenix Today

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

It hit at least 120f ( 49c) in Phoenix  Today, June 20. And , No, its not a dry heat, rather slimey.  A Picture  from this afternoon  near work place around 2:30pm..to commemorate  the record  day.

june2017b3734

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Strewth. And in the UK we are melting as it pushes towards 90F. LHR hottest since 1976. Mostly clear blue.

Love your flat top.

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Sounds like you could use a sno cone, my friend. If the image below doesn’t do it for you, there’s always Dostoevsky’s Ironic Process approach: Try not to think of a polar bear! (And that cool icy land in which he dwells). Hope things chill down there for you soon.

Sno cone

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Thank You Keelin and hygge…All donations gratefully received..Today it cooled off. Only 117f today. Slurpee Time!

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

32 degrees Celsius here in Yate (11 miles NE of City of Bristol). – this is yesterday (21 June – the Solstice)  I think we are on the Sun’s anvil and being beaten rather hard….

The heat has come on very quickly and strong with little build to adjust to the high temperature.  Several UK weather records have already been broken.

I am a lover of heat and warmth but this climate is just a wee, wee bit too much.  I feel  I am about to “peg out”.   I have taken to sleeping in my back garden upon my inflatable camping Lilo bed only to be woken up in the early hours by my two resident Hedgehogs ( which I look after) crawling over, inspecting me and licking my cheeks with really sticky goo.  Hilarious!  “Oh dear!”

Laurence

PS, a lot cooler and fresher today – a 12 degree drop is most welcome.

Participant

My book (*) gives the record high temperature in Phoenix for June as 122F, average 102.3F. The next closest is Las Vegas at 116F, then several in Ca to my surprise. But Phoenix relative humidity is only 12 (so that is why you call it the desert I suppose).

Of 17 international cities listed only Delhi, India at 102F hits the ton.

* Weather, from the Weather Guide Calender, 2007

P.S. Perhaps humans can adapt – as the UK falls towards 70F did I feel a slight shiver?

Participant

RE:  Michaels’ #217436 ‘hellscape heatwave’ in Phoenix

As reported in the UK’s i newspaper, American Airlines’ American Eagle had to cancel 50 flights because they use the Canadian-build Bombardier CRJ aircraft which is not certified to operate above 48 degrees C.

Participant

Paul Simons, Weather Eye, The Times (UK) 14AUG2017 reports Death Valley, Ca, in July 2017 measured an average monthly temperature of 41.9C (approx. 107F) at Furnace Creek.

100 years ago it reached or exceeded highs of 49C for 43 consecutive days.

Death Valley has a credible claim to the record high with 54.4C on 30JUN2013

bit.ly/2ukCWzY

(Well, it’s supposed to be a photo of that thermometer reading but it did not work for me).

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.