Black and White Thread Volume II

Black and White Thread Volume II

Forums The Cloud Forum Black and White Thread Volume II

Viewing 91 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Michael started and ended the ‘Black and White thread’ now being Volume I with some really spectacular pictures, certainly the spectacular one Michael ended the thread with making the number of posts 102. That must suffice for one thread. It will be good to look back at it sometimes.

So let’s start Volume II with

2016-07-06 Kennemerstrand_0088 B&W ns sch14 klein

Danse Macabre

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Hans, Thanks for the Sign In Tip…Refresh took me immediately to the red button of Login. Much Better.
      Fascinating high clouds there !..Winds creating interesting troughs and eddies with what looks like lacunosus! Quite a cast of characters!

Below is a Free For All of Undulatus with several layers of cloud.

feb2215a3292

Participant

Very nice those different patterns of undulatus and layers, Michael.

Together with the “holes eating the altocumulus” I spotted this one lately. A circular undulatus.

2017-02-15 Wolken_0033 B&W ahc klein

Someone Threw a Stone in the Pond

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Black and White Volume I was fantastic — Thank you to all! Michael, your final offering to the first collection reminds me of the Zen koan about the sound of one hand clapping. It was the perfect finale to keep us inspired. And Hans, you’ve started us off with quite an evocative image. Here’s to continuing the dance…

Tango_BW

Tango

Participant

All That Jazz

nov0214a0710

Participant

Lets dance! I am a dancing fool. I prefer the tango and the jazz, but this could be a line dance.

2015-05-01 Virga_0015 B&W uitsnede ns sch10 klein

Participant

Superstition

may1815a5326

Participant

Ha, I think the Dutchman has found his lost goldmine within this thread. Great composition of impressive cloud structures, Michael.

I am dreaming that Turner would have liked the next one. It does well in B&W as well in “Not B&W” (just check).

2016-08-01 Wolken_0035 B&W uitsnede ns klein

At sunset

Participant

When given the opportunity I enjoy shooting straight up through the clouds. The opportunity is usually a quick moving cell of congestus. NOT RAINING THO..Roiling ,nears perfection to my tastes. Thin and Moving enough to let light in for just a bit, challenging me to capture the interesting, thats the way to get a cramp in the neck from looking up continuously for the opportune. Ive learned to shoot with a good amount of contrast programmed. Orange or Red Filter effect works well for B&W. For color just program one of your choices for high contrast .I shoot with the slowest speed possible most of the time ,equivalent ASA100, but depending how dark it is under a forming storm , might up the speed to 200 or 400 depending on where the “noise” starts becoming a problem.Generally focus where the Lightest area is, which hopefully is the center of attention or whats going on, as well. Its a different way to shot clouds and lends itself to the abstract use of cloud . And Its Fun. Below is an easy one shot from my backyard, overhead.

sept0415a8897

Participant

And the result is a picture of very clear defined eddies in an abstract swirling struggle.

Your explanation, Michael, about the way you make these pictures make me aware of features that I know about but don’t use enough conscientiously. The only filter I use is a polarization filter, which of course only makes a difference in the right circumstances. Always learning. I keep these notes in mind. Your results are excellent examples.

Here something more (or less) figurative

2016-07 Wolken_0097 klein

Big Bang

Participant

Yeaa! coming apart in a big way! wild!

Hans I’m not a big fan of filters especially with photographing clouds. Adjustable filters like the polarizing and neutral density types can allow the picture to slip away while you’re adjusting the filter for best results. I have a polarizer for a lens and stopped using it when I missed too many good shots. The straight filters, UV, and colored filters etc , true, protect the glass one has paid so dearly for but..i keep changing back and forth from B&W to color during a shoot. Again, I lose way too much time screwing on or off filters as I change to or from B&W or color. These digital cameras with programmable options allow to switch to hi contrast to low from whatever you choose to something else that you choose with just a button push to menu and a couple of taps on a selector..Clouds change, lighting changes, etc, Program the effects and just know which choice has that effect. I have the Monochrome choice programmed for Yellow filter effect.Nice soft greys for B&W cloud work. User Choice 1 I have programmed for B&W ( monochrome) with Orange Filter effect for all around good contrasty shots of clouds. I have User Choice 2 programmed for B&W with Red Filter effect,,for high contrast when the clouds and lighting are not well separated, as in dull sky. All the ” Color ” choices, Portrait, Landscape, nature,,etc etc etc,I have programmed for various levels of contrast, saturation, etc. It doesn’t take long to know which choice I want to use for which situation I am Photographing. Early morning and late evening offer challenges that differ as much as brite sunny sky and overcast sky. Pre program so as to have as many choices available at finger tip.

Now, with that in mind, maybe how I shoot can be understood. I don’t shoot for lenticulars or Asperitas or cumulus or cirrus. I shoot for whatever the weather is giving me as in lighting, contrast, textures etc. I try to have prepared the camera to whatever is being offered. Sometimes, no, a lot of times what is going on to the south,,is different from what is going on to the north or east or west or straight over head. So adaptability is very important as shows in different directions start going on at the same time. Perhaps The Cloud Gods Enjoy a Good Laugh every now and then watching me darting around trying to capture 2 or 3 different shows at the same time.. I Take pictures of what is being offered. Any particular cloud type can come in any kind of lighting situation. To have the camera already set for that, makes it a breeze to capture the moment.

That perspective also applies to the aesthetic. Clouds aren’t always wavey or swirling or exploding etc etc. I try to ” see” what the clouds are offering in patterns or directions or just plain olde mystery as in shooting up through duplicatus. Most digital cameras ” see” further into the infra red than human eyes do. So just there, is a hint at the mystery clouds can offer. I don’t try to ” make” a cloud picture as much as record what the cloud or clouds are showing, or offering. True, when processing the photos, then creativity comes in and enhances what I’ve captured. I always end on the Surreal note. Surrealism is a philosophy. It works for me. Clouds take me away from the polarized black white true false yes no world of reason and logic and allow me another existence of imagination and aesthetics. Clouds show me that the surreal is quite natural. I hope to have my cameras ready for that .

Sept0415a8822

Participant

So surreal is this picture. Very intriguing tree-like figures without faces……

And … many thanks Michael for your detailed explanation. Crazy enough I mistook your filters for physical filters. The programming of filters did not come to mind (where is my mind?). Screwing on and off filters is indeed a nuisance and one will miss the right moments. I am very happy with your information about the way you programmed some User Choices and now – writing this post – I have already (?) programmed some of my own. For unimaginable reasons I did not use these features yet although I knew about them. Now I start with choices in sharpness and contrast among others. And also I must make them my own by experimenting. Being prepared is definitely a must with these ephemeral cloud things. So many thanks again.

Surrealism is everywhere you want to find it. So, forgive me this one:

2017-02-03 Semur_0069 uitsnede c ns0-170 klein

Curious Cloud Gods watching Michael Darting Around

Participant

The information shared here is helpful in many ways, so Thank You, Michael and Hans, for All of this. Even though I have only an iPhone 5 for photographing, the approach and attitudes you both share are training my eye in new ways. Here is a cloudscape we might all enjoy “darting around” in.

Skyscape

Cloudscape

Participant

Hans I Think It was Ginny, a Moderator here, who used the word “painterly” commenting on a cloud photo. Your shot there strikes me as painterly, Nice capture! And Keelin, pocket phone cameras are amazing to me!. Easy to carry around with you always ,and a great inexpensive way to develop one’s eye , just experiment to ones hearts delight. Nice cloudscape!Country side for sure!

I have a phone with camera but I don’t use it. I take a camera with me everywhere I go tho. A few weeks ago ,on the way home I spotted some interesting developments and pulled over at a couple of my favorite spots to photograph the interesting. The shot below was not an original reason for why I pulled over. It developed while I was taking pics in another direction.The serendipity of cloud spotting/ photographing is thrilling and is A Great Reason to use a iPhone with camera. . Perhaps the shot can be called a Cloudscape..okay maybe a Mike Cloud Scape.

feb1717a0916

Participant

Lovely cloudscape to dart in, Keelin. Ha and Mike has a cloudscape of his own! Beautiful vista’s.

The iPhone is always by the hand. That is an advantage, Keelin. The 5S has a very good camera in it, much better then the 4S that I still use. The pictures on the gallery that you made with your phone are fantastic.

I suppose you also use the Cloudspotter app? I do. Here is one I made with the Cloudspotter app.

IMG_0730 B&W uitsnede

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

As a non-photographer I can but admire the abstract results in this thread of deep delving into the cloudscape.

But I have a forum query you might help me with. I wanted to link to ‘Tuesdays Cloud’ but the photographer’s name did not come up in a CAS Search. Ian says the photo would have arrived via the Cloudspotter App. So I assume an App picture is just between CAS and the photographer? Unless CAS ask permission to use it?

Participant

I am not sure I understand your question Hygge. In the case of Tuesdays cloud of the Cloud-A-Day service you can find it in the archive (see link at the bottom of this page, I suppose you have to be logged in). In case of the ‘Cloud of the day’ last Tuesday on the Cloudspotter app it was to ephemeral to remember what cloud it was and by who it was spotted. In this case Ian or the team that chooses the cloud of the day might be able to help?

Hereunder the tiniest fallstreak hole ever, also spotted with the Cloudspotter app.

IMG_1172 B&W uitsnede asr ac

Black Hole

Participant

Captured a  nice thin blanket of stratus gently undulating there Hans, But..the hole may be just a hole as in deteriorating rather than a fall streak hole.Where is the ” fall” part?

Dance stated off Vol II . I stumbled on the  below shot taken almost a year ago, reminding me of a very social dance,,”The Electric Glide”. Seems like every Christmas party, Reunion, Reception, etc etc theres always the “Electric Glide”..well I suppose Clouds can too.

april1016a4378

Participant

These images are electrifying all the way down. I am loving this dance! More music comes to mind.

Hans, I’ve not used the Cloudspotter app yet, but will give it a try today to see what happens.

Symphony

Symphony

Participant

And here’s a thicker blanket to enjoy a nap with while we dream up more cloudscapes. (If you’d like to have it in a soft sky blue color, see the Not B&W thread.)

BlueBlanket_BW

Participant

There is really music in this thread. It is going to be a fine wind ensemble. Electric glide, a symphony, here are the backing ground vocals. So take a seat on the soft blanket and listen.

Iphone Hans 049 B&W ns

Participant

And now for something completely different….

2016-07 Wolken_0085 B&W niveau smal sch14 klein

Participant

Lots of  movement!

Below is shot of strange. I think  i took it at dusk and its really a small patch . The lighting makes it appear to be spikes. I really don’t know.

oct1614a0395

Participant

I like these sprite like streaks very much Michael. There might be several layers of different clouds of which one shows the lighter streaks (fibratus?). But that’s only for the analytical aspect. The resulting picture is striking. The lighter streaks seem to emerge straight from a steaming underground. Again on the surreal track. Great composition.

Next one I took some time ago and I almost had forgotten it. Going through my archive recently, the resulting picture unveiled to my surprise a mans face like the acid of time would have made the figure appear by etching.

2016-05-20 Blue contrail_0005 B&W uitsnede2 s35ho ac h0c100 klein

An Etching In The Clouds

Participant

Oh yes, I see him, lower right, Hans, wearing a wintry hat too. Beneath asperitas?

Participant

I am not sure Hygge whether it was asperitas. It was a small patch in the sky with these darker wisps against a lighter background. It had the characteristics op asperitas and that was the reason I took some pictures. So maybe, maybe not. After all these clouds quickly disappeared. These kind of asperitas like wimps can be seen sometimes and then I always wonder how to call it. On the gallery are also some examples you can find, but they might be more convincing to be called asperitas. On the Black and White Thread Vol I  I posted another example in another occasion of these wimps (February 11, 2017). Maybe someone else might shine a light on this?

Participant

A Meandering Sunset…or..A Slipped Dusk

jan0216a2403

Participant

2017-03-06 Wolken_0001 B&W ac klein

Restless Sea

Participant

Nice example of Holmboe(spl) Hans..I still think Holmboe should be designated as a cloud type rather than thought of as something a cloud is subjected to..but heck, one new cloud a life time is pretty special ( asperitas).

Ive mention often enough the speed that the weather has traveling across the Upper Sonoran Desert. The Picture here gives a clue. We’re talking several miles between the bottom of the pic to the top ( 5miles?) yet the cloud above sits looking motionless. Fascinating!

april2716a4708

Participant

….. I thought the restless sea could be Holmboe, but I was not sure. Thanks for confirmation Michael.

Indeed a fascinating phenomenon and a fascinating picture. The large elongated streaks unveil strong winds in contrast with the cloud top left.

Next picture shows another effect of different levels. It is like looking through ground glass to some undulatus.

Iphone Hans 439 B&W uitsnede ac

Participant

Hans, drifting back to your “something completely different”, I’ve been wanting to tell you how I was swept away with your image there. It had for me the emotional quality of spirits lifting. Then the sway and play of Michael’s cleverly titled Meandering Sunset or A Slipped Dusk had me ready to dance at all costs.

And thank you, Hygge, for pointing out another face in Han’s Etching. I’d been out of town for a few days with only a cell phone for viewing and at first glance, a larger face emerged on the tiny screen. It is facing forward with two dark horizontal areas for eyes, the mouth clearly in place beneath a hint of nose. I completely missed the smaller face in profile you described until I viewed the image later on a larger screen. As happens so often, the more one looks, the more one sees.

Just catching up now with all of these lovely new additions to the thread.

Ball of Yarn_BWBall of Yarn

Participant

The Lighting Makes the Horizontal Appear Tenuous

oct1715a9931

Participant

Gentle and subtle slopes of Asperitas Michael!

Thank you Keelin for your enthusiastic reactions. That is really nice to read. So going on the track of the things we see in clouds like Bowling Balls, a Ball of Yarn, one or more faces, a Slipped Dusk, etc. here is a …

2017-02-15 Wolken_0071 B&W ns klein

Swimming Goat

Participant

Something Over the Ridge

feb1515a3053

Participant

If you’re dreaming and you see a goat swim over a ridge, then go to look for it, you will likely find something quite different on the other side. This effect is due to DWI (Dream World Instability) and, if you’re aware enough, you can then have yourself a sweet lucid adventure. If you’re not dreaming, you might still find the goat transformed. Which goes to show that waking life can be as magical as dreams if you know what to look for.

rompingOver the Ridge

Participant

Michael pushed it over the ridge and now this this Dream World Instability is quite a new phenomenon for me. I like it already very much. I enjoyed reading about it, so thanks very much Keelin.

Maybe I push it over the top in my instable dream world when I think I found Over the Ridge the features of a flying bird with a chanterelle. Might this be apohenia gone mad as Hygge once stated in another thread?

2017-02-15 Wolken_0006 B&W ns klein

Velvet

Participant

Hans, I like the Velvet you captured very much. Here is a feather that winged its way across the sky.Floccus Feather_BW

Floccus from the flock?

Participant

Whoa, Keelin. Floccus?

PAUSE for THOUGHT
        I enjoy the fun you and other ace shooters bring to play in this thread. But the playground should use Definitions of Clouds by WMO in the ICA (*), not in your dictionary.
        I can see where you are coming from, but if there were a moderator to this forum he/she might demur at your use of floccus in the context of what seems to be, as you imply, a contrail. Aces will understand, but newbies might be mislead.

* ICA Vol I, 1975, II.2.3.2 Floccus
        A species in which each cloud unit is a small tuft with a cumuliform appearance, the lower part of which is more or less ragged and often accompanied by virga.

This term applies to Cirrus, Cirrocumulus and Altocumulus.

P.S. ICA Vol I only refers to ‘Condensation trails (contrails)‘ once in II.6.3 under SPECIAL CLOUDS.

P.P.S ‘floccose’ might fit the bill? But the previous word in my OED probably would not – floccinaucinihilipilification.

Participant

Oh, very sorry, Hygge and All, I am one of those newbies myself and didn’t recognize it as contrail as it was mixed in with other streaks of wispy cloud. Here’s another part of the same sky which held other patches of similar rough cloud bits. Thank you for the clarification, Hygee. So much to learn and I’m grateful for your guidance.

A Dance of Fragile Veils

Participant

Talking about floccinaucinihilipilification….. (always learning, I must train in using faultlessly this very funny word). What is this talking about aces and newbees? I am neither. I am just an interested amateur and no scientist. But …. as a matter of fact I don’t think it is contrail and can we be so sure it is not floccus? A Flock it is for sure. ImHo it seems to be cirrocumulus which can have a floccus appearance in compliance with ICA. There it starts to be unsure, but ….  it also makes a suitable and funny title. Furthermore I can’t see any contrail. A feather that wings its way through the sky ….. does not imply contrail. It does imply well-chosen poetic words to describe something nice. So it is not that straightforward I think, and the most important thing is that I like the kind of cloud structures on these pictures of Keelin. It shows the same situation as on the beautiful picture in the ‘Not B&W’ thread Keelin posted on which also a colorful corona and / or iridescence can be seen. So please no sorry.

Participant

Thank you, Hans for kind compliments, and Hygee, for caring enough to be curious about what is there — or was there! For whatever it was, surely it is something else by now. And this fabulous word “floccinaucinihipilification” is a keeper.

Participant

Welcome To A Cloud Dream

jan2116a2357

Participant

2017-03-13 Circles_0025 B&W ns plus klein

Cloudy Crow Champagne Bubbles

Participant

Looks to be tiny plankton, amoebas, biological in anycase Hans ,which of course  produce the bubbles and alcohol …boozy shot!

I Wonder if they Dream in Color?

mar1115a3657

Participant

A Cloud Dream and Cloudy Crow Champagne Bubbles put me in a party mood (while Michael’s image above reminds me not to have too much of the bubbly).

A bit more bubbly

Participant

A variatiion of the Tom Waits’ line, The camera has been drinking, no,not me..I can definitely feel the festivity in your shot Keelin!

3 Sheets To The Wind

apr0415a4155

Participant

And now things are beginning to spin…

IMG_4021_BW

Participant

Ha! Party mood, spinning clouds, a drunken camera, boozy inspirations. I like them. When this one flies over and looks you in the eye, you might come to the conclusion you maybe had one too many…

2017-02-15 Wolken_0035 an klein

Easter Island Hangover

Participant

Hans, your Easter Island Hangover made me laugh out loud — it is Very Funny.

Feeling Very SweepyIMG_4227_BW

Feeling Very Sweepy Now

Participant

oye!

some undulatus

aug0116a6451

Participant

2015-06 CHA eo_0022 B&W uitsnede ns klein c

Steaming Cumulus

Participant

Cloud Trail

feb1316a2904

Participant

2017-03-25 Wolken_0078 asr uitsnede klein B&W sch11

Crab Nebula

Participant

Where Every Day Is An Occasion

mar0517a1470

Participant

Where Every Day Is An Occasion, there are also be days that offer more occasions than usual . Spring has showed up over here and last weekend we had some beautiful days with intriguing sweepy whimsical cirrus, lacunosus, undulations (oye!) and others.  That gives great picture opportunities and I was able to gather some for future use in this thread. Even some mamma in cirrus spissatus (see Mammatus thread) was there to be seen.

And when spring has come there will be also …

2015-09 France_0145 B&W ns uitsnede klein sch14

Tadpoles

Participant

…and …

RIpples of DeLightRipples of deLight

PS: And many thanks to CAS crew for fixing log-in problems.

Participant

This is strange. The last contribution to this thread must be from Keelin, but I can’t see it in the thread itself. I found out that the post of Keelin can be found by going to the user profile of Keelin and then choosing for “Replies Created”. The last reply shows Ripples of deLight. A very beautiful scenery and a very applicable title as well, unfortunately not visible in this thread (yet?). Maybe this issue is related to the log-in problem Keelin refers to?

2017-02-15 Wolken_0027 B&W ns klein

Fanning out Ripples

Participant

And after I posted my own ripples the Ripples of deLight appeaered on the thread, but the forum did not show my last update on the overview…… caching problems I suppose.

Participant

A Big Sky Shot Over Phoenix

jan2216a2546

Participant

HAA! Nice Work there Hans,,Dimension, texture, direction; very interesting thus fun!  …ooopps this should be posted below after Han’s Django post..hey everything else is weird  here.. so..

I notice that two of my shots have disappeared . So please allow me this opportunity to repost them here.

This one is slightly different than the on missing,so everyone gets a 2 for 1.

jan2216a2526

My ego likes this one too much to let it vanish.

mar1517a1625

Participant

Also..yes Hans all sorts of weirdness going on..I think the sign on still isn’t right. The only way for me to sign in a current time is the regen option you have pointed out,,Yet I still seem to be out of synch somewhere either in Gallery or here or etc. Its kinda fun except when you don’t have the time to bounce around in a bunch of yesterdays.

Apparently a regen or renew at every step of the way gets the newest..Its 6:37 PM and I JUST got to see todays gallery shots..nice Crow Instability Hans.. and when I came back here..Guess what wasn’t visible..but a renew brought it back,,yea..this and the above shot..uh oh.

Participant

A B&W ,but mostly grey, Sunset

mar1517a1625

Participant

Nice sunset with crepescular rays crossing other lines, Michael. Thanks about the Crow. Weird isn’t it?

Yes the site behaves different being logged in or not. Refresh after being logged in is still necessary. I know it is a problem caused by the caching mechanism, and I know that the issue will be solved, but also that it will take some time. In the meantime it is indeed some bouncing around, but when you know that you must be logged in, it makes things easier.

I posted a reaction to you topic “In memory of” at the same time I posted my latest contribution to this thread, but it got lost to my surprise. I was rather puzzled by your topic and could not found any information about the memorized man named Calb Endmonson, until I realized what date you posted the topic. Googling on nuclear art I found some really weird pictures taken in the Nevada desert. This one is made under more safe circumstances above my house.

2016-08-24 Cirrus_0014 niv smal B&W klein

No Nuclear Art But Maybe A Culliflower

Participant

Website weirdness aside, I’m just so grateful to be able to see these fabulous images. Here’s one that made me wonder if Hans’s goat was still swimming its way across the sky.

Hans's goat horns_BW

Participant

It is definitely the swimming goat Keelin, I can see him clearly. So thank you for this unexpected but also very funny come-back!

2017-03-25 Wolken_0174 asr klein B&W ns40-208

Snowy Mountains

Participant

A Variation on the Nuages Theme

mar0517a1449

Participant

Yes, Django’s music is also layered and has contrasts like on your picture, Michael.

I wrote about a weekend with great skies. Here under an example.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0144 asr 90 klein sch11 B&W

Participant

Michael, thank you for re-posting the two images. I am particularly fond of the “mostly grey, Sunset” which evokes for me the feeling of a pleasurable dream half-remembered.
      And Hans’s, your most recently posted image from the “weekend with great skies” is like the bright shivers of bliss I feel at the onset of lucidity during dreams. Extraordinary!
      I dove in deeply for this one.

Could Be From the Sea

Could Be From The Sea

Participant

Keelin, Thanks for Your Kind words! Clouds take us to the dream world . Your “From The Sea” shot there has all the elements but like a dream , not held to rules, and goes about their ways freely. The pic seems to be looking at the viewer..a Keelin selfie?

Heres a shot that evokes memories of sand dune beaches of the East Coast Atlantic .ok, for me anyway. A red filter effect turned a dull low contrast sky into something I could work with . Like eating a bowl of hot chili right before bed time…OH The Dreams!

mar0517a1523

Participant

It is heartwarming to read the kind words you wrote, Keelin. I feel proud.

And thanks for the repost of ‘A Big Sky Shot Over Phoenix’, Michael. I would not have liked to miss it. For some reason I can see ‘Mostly Grey Sunset’ twice now, while you apparently thought the first post disappeared (?). I like the play of crossing lines in it very much.

I agree with Michael that ‘Could Be From The Sea’ by Keelin seems to look at us. It is a very mysterious and intriguing scenery and I can keep looking at it puzzling about all kind of things that come to mind.

And memory of Sand Dune beaches, … oh the dreams…. I could not help thinking of Little Nemo in Slumberland.

So thank you both Keelin and Michael for these fantastic new pictures. What a lot to enjoy! When I look back from the moment Michael started the first Black And White Thread until now at (already) post 70 of Volume II, I could not imagine the richness of all these inspiring views on the sky. It may sound cliché but this is really what it is to me. So let’s continue to amaze each other!

2017-03-25 Wolken_0149 B&W uitsnede rot ns klein

And Let The Wind Blow Back Your Hair

Participant

I feel the same way, Hans. So YES, let’s continue to amaze and (a)muse, to dance and dream. And let the wind do what it will!

In the photo below, the shadow of eyelashes softly texture an emerging dreamscape.

Emerging dreamscape

Emerging dreamscape

Participant

and then see these …

2017-03-25 Wolken_0118 B&W s0h30 asr klein

Floating Trees

Participant

Cloaked in Velum

jul1614a7685

Participant

Looking for the second time at Cloaked Velum I saw this swimmer with his head turning away to take a breath above the surface. Once seen that way I can’t see it anymore otherwise. Strange phenomenon.

2017-04-10 Wolken_0031 B&W s35h0 klein

Minimal Music

Participant

An intriguing title, Michael, for an image that has me drawing a breath like the swimmer Hans has seen in it. Now I, too, feel as if I am moving through the clouds.

Meanwhile below, a Fennec Fox offers a little accompaniment for your Minimal Music, Hans.

Oboe Solo

Oboe Solo

Participant

Uh Oh! Nice Contrast Between Your Shots Keelin and Hans; the horizontal and the vertical as well as the all grey tone and the Black to White, the very relaxing and the Frenetic (i apologize)..So, coincidentally having just today reviewed the pic and wondered if I would ever post the pic, this is as good an opportunity as ever, it fits in between your two opposites Keelin and Hans.

mar0315a3631

Participant

I can see the Fennec Fox, Keelin. At first I had to look for it, but – again – once seen it sticks in my brain. And Michael chooses the impressionistic middle. Both very nice.

ERROR: Are you sure you wanted to do that?

This is what I get almost every first time since two weeks when I post something. Is this the reason why no other contributions can be found on the forum since two weeks? Black and White diehards can’t be stopped this way. Of course I wanted to do that! I retry after deleting the text and image from the comment-box and then adding it again. Usually it gets posted well.  This one has also been a two-step post.

2017-04-10 Wolken_0008 B&W ns klein

Curling Cumulus

Participant

I Luv Clouds

jan3116a2758btw Hans,,I got that Are You Sure Error message a few times also. Haven’t seen it recently.  Seems a constant refresh at every step keeps things current.

Participant

Michael, so glad you chose to post your photo (a couple images up). Did you use a special filter? I ask because it has that mysterious luster I associate with gelatin prints. Now there’s fifty shades of grey I don’t mind seeing.

And Hans, there is such a playful feel in Curling Cumulus. I keep going back to it because it keeps making me smile.

I agree, it’s still a bit tricky getting images to post, but as noted, we are determined enthusiasts!

Candle in the Wind

Candle in the Wind

Participant

The asperitas and the cirrus are very different and  I like both very much Keelin. Large undulations versus fine structures. Beware for the candle….

2017-03-25 Wolken_0073 asr sch11 klein B&W an

Oops Something Caught Fire

Participant

Thanks K & H for your kind words!.. Wow, gel filters..I haven’t heard of those in a while. I gave them a try when I was in the army. I never went back to them since. For clouds I would think they are too slow Keelin. I suppose You could do a whole shoot with a filter in place tho. But thats not my style. That shot was taken as dusk approached if I recall correctly. Contrast mellows out in the later afternoon as the greys come alive.

Heres a shot at just about sundown, sun almost on the horizon line. A bit of processing time brought the cloud formation forward in time by 2 or 3 hours. Lightroom has ” gradual filter” that is worth its weight in gold. Big Sky presents a unique set of problems. Even lighting across the ” Big Sky” is the main one along with distortions. This shot is an example of what good processing software can do to get the lighting the way you want.. Digital ” burning” and ” dodging” is quick, easy, and cheap compared to the same in analogue.

Herald

april1117a2458

Participant

Thanks for your explanation about the burning and dodging, Michael. I haven’t applied or explored that functions yet with lightroom. Big Sky. I just keep on learning.

Terrific Herald! The message of the herald must be joyful. Love it.

It’s A Beautiful Day

2017-03-25 Wolken_0164 asr klein B&W ns50-240

White Bird

Participant

…. and great “Light and Shadow At Play In a Field of Floccus” on the gallery!

Participant

Sorry for my misleading comment/question, Michael. I meant to write that your image had the rich tonal luster of a gelatin silver print and wondered if you’d somehow captured this effect by use of a special filter. (The image “A misty morning in Bluff, Utah, US” by Paul Martini, posted April 6, 2017 on the gallery has this same lustrous quality.) And thank you for further explanations on your process. I, too, am learning so much from this forum exchange.

Indeed, it is a beautiful day from the start, Hans, when I wake to such amazing images as posted here. They continue to inspire!

Wind & Fire

Wind and Fire

Participant

Wow, All the pics are disappearing,,a lot of them anyway…anybody else not seeing a bunch of photos? Difficult to talk about them when they are gone Keelin, but there is a..way..to get that lustre you reference..Its in the gray tones. If pure white is 100,,pure black 0..then maybe somewhere around as low as 60 and as high as 85..these gray tones can be pumped up a tad with micro amounts of light until they gain a lustre. Adobe Lightroom has a nice feature than can do this in the right conditions. The group of effects is under ” Presence ” The effects include,,Clarity,,Vibrance and Saturation. Meant more for color manipulation, these have effects in B&W as well. Clarity I use a lot,,because I usually shoot for a flat original, thus able to bring it to ” depth” I want when processing. Shooting RAW is some what the same way..The photo is made at the Printer rather than at that camera.

Anyway ,,some photogs call the few hours before sunset and the hour or two from sun rise the magic hours because thats when the gray tones are “alive ” and with a little processing help can gain a lustre. Clarity seems to know alll by itself what ur foto needs..to add lite to which greys or just the opposite which greys to make darker to get the depth and “lustre’ ..So what happens depends on what you are giving to ” clarity”. You learn and if something doesn’t work out ,,no big deal. You start over and try a different way .

The variables are endless. There is the exposure of the original, Do you want to add or take away from the original.. Then there is just the middle ,,think bell curve the 80 %,,more lite? less lite? The Highlites..more? Less? Same with dark..middlle tones, darker ? then the shadows Darker, Lighter ? Remember..highlights and Shadows loose detail when increased. So, clarity acts as a ” separator.” gives separation between the tones, not like the heavy handed Contrast effect but in conjunction WITH contrast, lights highlites darks and shadows,,you find or create the amount of ” lustre” you want. Another way to see or think about it is..Does the AIR in you photo have Light? Thats something Painters master..putting Light in the Air. Turner was great at that.The Clarity tool can do that if presented the right opportunity. Whats neat is , Clarity is also available for just small areas as in burning and dodging..Now we’re talking about making a Picture..not just a shot. Some Photos I’m happy with, with no more than 5 minutes of processing. Others I’ll spend a few hours or more on,,adjustments on small levels and areas can add up to make a very good photograph and never be noticed. Remember,,You Control EVERYTHING the observer sees. The photograph you mention about lustre..now missing..I waited until I had the time to process it. I spent around a hour on it.

For color,,vibrance and clarity in tandom can produce the Light in the Air..but as in all cases,,be judicial with the effect. It shouldn’t be noticeable or sticking out like a red thumb,,like so many over saturated color shots ( im just as guilty on that as anyone).

Sorry, I’m not posting a pic rite now only to see it disappear soon after. When things get straightened out here I’ll post photos. Soon I hope.

MEL

Participant

Thank you, Michael! I very much appreciate the time and careful detail you’ve given to my query. I’m sure there’s a learning curve involved, but I feel encouraged to keep at it by the stunning images you and Hans continue to share here. I just love ‘em (and hope they’re restored soon!).

Participant

Ah, the pictures are restored!  I supposed we can safely post new pictures again. The site is improved in my opinion. The performance is better and the caching issues are solved, so no difference anymore in what you seen being logged in or not. Well done!

Nevertheless: ERROR: Your reply cannot be created at this time.

So I have to be patient – and that is not easy for me, believe me –  before posting something new.

And … many thanks Michael for your extensive explanation of the way you develop your pictures. I do it myself in a rather simple way adjusting the levels and some automatic repair or adjustments functions for levels or contrast, but my development process can be improved for sure  seeing what Michael has done done to make “Herald”. Fantastic result!

The “Wind And Fire” picture of Keelin is also great. The title is very applicable and I like to continue on the fire theme later. Can’t wait ……

Participant

Give it a try! This I spotted very recently in a sky dominated by lots of mighty cumuli of many kind.

2017-04-18 Wolken_0065 B&W asr klein uitsnede

Mainly White

Participant

Similar to a chaptered work of fiction ,,or not , the posts of pictures making a thread have a overall effect as well as individual effect. I’m glad all the shots have been restored..from sharp Wind and Fire to the soft cumuli. May they all inspire.

Just today, Hans , I experimented with a few shots taken during last cloud cover. I shot into a very flat stratus ,seeing just barely a hint of contrast. I set on red filter effect and took several bracketed exposures( incremental degrees of under or over exposure). Again, ” experiment” is the key word. Then Lightroom process was twisted and squeezed for just about everything I could get out of the turnip. Hans, you have a Mainly White with cumuli,,below is a lot of white with stratus.april1617a2545

Participant

I agree Michael, the overall effect of this thread is as important as the individual pictures. I have this also with a CD. It is the whole thing that has its appeal (or not) as much as individual pieces.

It is magic Michael to unveil these structures in stratus. Usually stratus shows no more than one tone of grey and you have to search seriously for any structure. Very nice.

Here the structure was evident although fine.

2017-04-10 Wolken_0036 B&W asr c klein h35

Minimal Music part II

Participant

Fine Indeed! These digital cameras literally take us beyond what we can see. I wonder if birds can see further into the clouds than we.

Okay from a lot of white, to mostly black:

april0916a4207

Participant

Yes! From black to white en vice versa. This must be the burning thread in this thread.

I wrote I’d come back on the fire theme. Keelin started with wind and fire, now you lit the fuse and here it is…..

2016-07-04 Lacunosus_0009 B&W ns klein sch14

Burning The Midnight Oil

Participant

Lacunosus Whipped Into a Frenzy! Amazing how it maintains uniformity before its consumed.,

Abandoned

jan0216a2362

Participant

Michael, your Mainly White image is simply and subtly so luscious. And Hans, I like seeing the further structure you’ve revealed in Minimal Music part ll — fantastic!
      Out of town for just a couple of days and I see this thread has remained hot. I might have to go visit the wave thread to cool off.

Still Ablaze

Still Ablaze

Participant

Michael, your Mainly White image is simply and subtly so luscious. And Hans, I like seeing the further structure you’ve revealed in Minimal Music part ll — fantastic!
      Out of town for just a couple of days and I see this thread has remained hot. I might have to go visit the wave thread to cool off.

Still Ablaze

Still Ablaze

Participant

Not sure why the above comment and image posted twice. I’ve tried to delete the duplicate, but it must be hard to put this fire out. Can someone advise how to douse the flame?

Participant

Apparently there are still some challenges for the developers to come with the necessary water to put this kind of fire out, Keelin. Fortunately the logging in is straightforward again and there are no caching issues anymore. I noticed Hygge e.o. had problems to log in last weeks, which explains why so little attributions appeared on the forum except for the Black & Whities.

Ablaze is really fiery Keelin! Here is some water to douse this fire, so don’t Abandon….

2017-03-28 Virga_0042 asr klein B&W an klein

Participant

Greetings From A Sun Rise

jan1015a2393

Participant

The impressionism in Greetings From A Sunrise has clearly your signature Michael. Great composition!

2017-04-18 Wolken_0079 B&W asr klein

White Giant

Participant

Thank you, Hans! I would very much like to dance with Abandon and drink in its cool quenching mist.

And if I were a painter, Michael, your Greetings From a Sun Rise would be all the inspiration needed for a day in the studio. Impressionistic and impressive.

It continues to amaze me how converting a cloudscape to black and white and tweaking the contrast a bit will sometimes bring it right down to earth. If I were a writer of mystery novels, I’d want to follow this Moonlit Path (below) from the shores of the cloud lake and see where it leads.

That subtle white wisp in Hans’s White Giant also beckons.

Moonlit Path

Moonlit Path

Viewing 91 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.