Black and White Thread Volume III

Black and White Thread Volume III

Forums The Cloud Forum Black and White Thread Volume III

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

A Moonlit Path from Keelin is a beautiful end of the Black and White Volume II thread and a perfect bridge to a new thread for Black and Whites, now already Volume III after Michael started the first edition. I look forward to what´s coming from whoever who wants to jump in.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0006 B&W ns88-255 klein

Enter This Cave And Find Out

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

At the Lake..

dec3115a2242

Participant

…. Mirroring The Clouds

2017-04-18 Wolken_0128 B&W asr klein

Participant

Head In The Clouds

july1915a7461

Participant

Oh, the cumuli with their smooth and quickly vanishing haircut. It seems to hang there so still. Nice! Over here the weather gave us a lot of cumuli last week, also of the nimbus kind. Great cloudscapes and some iridescence in between. I started the thread with one of the shots I took. Here is another one.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0011 B&W ns55-255 klein

Shine A Light

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Thank you, Hans, for launching B&W Volume III! Enter the cloud cave? Willingly! Spelunking we will go for…

As Above (Not) So Below

As Above (Not) So Below

Participant

Below and Above, together it makes a lovely impressionistic picture, Keelin.

2016-09 France_0372 B&W uitsnede2 asr klein sch14

No Title

Participant

April

april0817a2298

Participant

It is a pity: no chance for Cloud Doodles over here except for rare occasions. I love these doodles (very ingenious name you gave them, Michael!) for their curious and elegant features. Likewise the Holmboe instabilities. I appreciate also your extensive explanations about your creative process, Michael (in former threads and and in the thread “Cloud Doodles”). Many thanks for taking the trouble to write it all down (or “up” considering the internet way of sharing).

In april over here ….

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0165 B&W asr klein

One Needed To Keep His Hands Warm

(but now May has arrived)

Participant

Indeed, Spring has arrived! In the Valley of the Moon (AKA: Sonoma), vineyards are waking up to the new season. But I must say that by simply looking up, I can easily become more intoxicated with the nectar of the sky than with all the grape juice bottled below. Cheers!

Vignoble Dans Le Ciel

Vignoble Dans Le Ciel

Participant

Merveilleux, c’est un vrai vignoble Keelin!

… but I also like the bottled product. The combination of both in the right quantities can make it perfect for me.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0075 ns117-228

Intoxicated

Participant

feb2815a3472Three

Participant

Going Forward

mar0517a1458

Participant

You are doing magic with the grays and contrasts in 3 and Going Forward, Michael.

2017-04-10 Wolken_0035 B&W asr sch11 klein

Minimal Music part III

Participant

Michael and Hans, as far as I can see, you both have the magic going with those gray values. They are a wonder to behold.

And do we have a subtle “3″ theme going here? If so, here’s Newton’s Third Law to add to it.

Newton's 3rd Law_Action_Reaction

Participant

Thank you Keelin. Your picture is the proof that all good things come in threes.

And the title Newton’s Third Law is  very applicable so I would like to add that – like on your picture – for Newton’s Third Law ….

2017-04-07 Wolken_0016 B&W ns77-190 klein

It Takes Two

Participant

Cloudscape

may0717a2971

Participant

Just an impressionistic painting, Michael!

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0062 B&W asr klein

Snowy Mount Cloud

Participant

I’d like to take a walk in your Cloudscape, Michael, and see what’s just beyond that ridge. Perhaps Hans’s Snowy Mount Cloud? Which shifted quickly into a benevolent hand offering a treat to what is that? A tiny bear? It’s a world of wonders up there!

And Hans, on the CAS Gallery, your Mythical Phoenix photo is a flight fantastic!

Spring Mix_BW

Spring Mix

Participant

HAA! Working The Grays!  Pretty Neat!

Spring indeed, Heres an  abstracted ” Bloom”feb1717a0921

Participant

Spring Mix and Bloom, both pictures breathe the atmosphere of spring very well. I can almost smell the spring in the air.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0154 B&W asr klein

SpringTree

Participant

Spring blooms above as well as below, where things are Taking Root.Taking Root

Participant

I keep going back to Spring Mix and Bloom, both being very appealing in different ways. Scrolling through the thread keeps being fun and refreshes the mind. Like spring, also the pictures take root!

That’s why it is a pity that – after having all the pictures back in Black and White Thread Volume II  – some pictures disappeared again. So is the same in Volume I. I hope the pictures will be restored some time….

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0065 B&W an klein

Hectic Joy

Participant

I like very much the feeling of your Hectic Joy, Hans, and also share the hope that earlier images can be brought back. They have not ceased to inspire! Just today as others rushed to hide from darkening skies, I could only look up in awe and search for the kind of greys I’ve learned to appreciate in these B&W threads.

IMG_4794_BW_Profusion of Fusion

Profusion of Fusion

Davy Thwaites avatarDavy Thwaites
      Participant

IMG_0685

Dream Trees

Davy Thwaites avatarDavy Thwaites
      Participant

Deleted duplicate pic

Participant

Welcome Davy! The more contributions to this thread the better. I like your your Dream Trees very much. Its atmosphere fits perfectly to the atmosphere of Profusion of Fusion by Keelin. Both great grays. To be continued!

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0098 B&W ns75-168

Into The Great Wide Open

Participant

Shooting Up Thru The Clouds Exposes The Tumult of Their Passing. Keelin nice capture! And Welcome D Thwaites! Great  Title  For The Cloud Shot, ” Dream Trees”!

So Allow Me To Turn Everything On Its Head  With a Recent Shot Of Lennies , for the heck of it!.

feb2517a1315

Participant

Ha, Lennies brought back to their essence against a bible black.

Mr. Crow paid me a visit again last days and left this

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0108 B&W asr detail klein c

Bat Out Of Hell (Homogenitus)

Participant

Bat Out of Hell (Homogenitus) is bound to return again, Hans (like a boomerang!), so best keep your head up! A stunning image there. To my eye it even looks like that sweet wee bear came back to wander Into The Great Wide Open — charming!

Davy, what a lovely forest of Dream Trees. You’ve quite captured the wildness of the wilderness in them. Hope to see more from you!

And thanks for the kind comment, Michael. And oh, the Lennies! They bring a quiet dramatic serenity. I keep going back to breathe them in. Here is one being held in place with a bit of muscle from the cloud above.

Vein

Held In Place

Participant

Wow Keelin! This is surreal. I can see the veins on the arm holding Little Lennie in place. This is a stunning picture. It is more than a bit muscles that holds it in place. The muscles are even steaming. No words.

….and cloud-wise interpreted I think there is Holmboe instability coming out of the underarm (top right). Maybe Michael can confirm?

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0062b&W asr klein

An O……. In Wonder Of Held In Place

Participant

Thank you, Hans, and O! What a marvelous cloud you have here as well. Like a circus Ring O’ Fire, I’d love to sail through. The contrail to the left adds the perfect contrast.

The shot below shows a bit of blurry Vertebrae. It was far in the distance when it caught my eye. I recall thinking: Who says clouds have no backbone?

Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Participant

Nice shot of thin cloud veil Keelin! Im not seeing the Holmbro tho , Hans. Oh Well

Wind Textures

feb2217a1150

Participant

Last pictures showed some lenticularis clouds. They are rarely seen over here, but some days ago – between the coming and going of a high pressure area – there were suddenly a lot of them with their photogenic smooth forms.

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0091 B&W asr klein c

Participant

Hans, nice capture of your rarity. Fortunately my work place is close to the beginnings of increased elevation at the north eastern edge of the valley, so Lennies aren’t rare but most of the time they aren’t spectacular. Most are one cloud bean pods as the pic above illustrates. Yet when they conspire to be spectacular, they are ,as a recent contribution to the gallery demonstrates,,imho anyway. Yes, on the edge of systems or in between seems their popular place yet when monsoon season arrives they can be right next to cumulus. But for predictability..places like Andy Kirk’s Owen’s Valley in California tops out in foreseeable. I always take time to photograph lennies no matter where or when. Haa!,maybe a night shot of a lenny could happen…?

anyway,

Dropping The Veil

mar0517a1432

Participant

This veil really could have been painted Michael, I love it.

After the roundings of the lennies come ……

2017-03-25 Wolken_0090 uitsnede B&W ns klein

Rectangles

Participant

That veil looks to be having a dance of its own, Michael. Nice shot, as is your previous one of Wind Textures. Wonderful movement in both images.

And Hans, I’m happy to hear the Lennies found you — and you were ready for them! Now that you’ve mentioned rectangles, I think one’s Gone Missing here. So rare (at least since I’ve been looking up) to see such an opening in the clouds. I took the photo below for this very reason.

Gone Missing

Participant

A Cubist Portal To The Other Side..Nice One Keelin!

Below is  Another Rent in Cloud Time….  ..

mar0517a1443

Participant

Very nice Cubic Portal Keelin. That one must have been hard to find. And then there is that almost sparkling bright Rent in Cloud Time. Both surreal.

I have been a few days ago to an exhibition of surreal painters: Magritte, Dali, etc. From Magritte I saw “Le Temps Menacant” (Threatening Weather). That one struck me as a fine example of “Things That Look Clouds”, not to confuse with “Clouds That Look Things”. Google it and find out yourself. Ingenious!

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0134 B&W ac klein

Leaf

Participant

Hans ,Magritte is my favorite Surrealist painter. I estimate at least 75% of his paintings have cloud. The original Surrealists encouraged cloud watching because they believed, rightly so imho, the practice was good for developing the imagination . Magrittes classics ” False Mirror ” and ” Grand Family” rely heavily on Clouds as metaphor.

This shot has subtle vertical mist rising through the undulations like our thoughts escaping the mundane.

mar1115a3691

Participant

Yes, surrealists and clouds, they were certainly good friends.

The undulations on the lower half of your picture are almost touchable Michael, And then the mist of our thoughts make them unreachable on the upper half…… Very nice.

Here is some

2017-05-22 Wolken_0089 b&W ns120-205 100 klein_bewerkt

Electricity

Participant

Ghost Cloud

may2517a3483

Participant

Yes these cirrus streaks are very photogenic Michael. They make drawings in the sky, sometimes with electricity, sometimes ghostly. Very different from your recent impressive cumulonimbus on the gallery. Wow, a lot more cloud is that!

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0118 B&W ns91-150 klein

Strange Flower

Participant

a work in abstract expressionism

mar1715a3790

Participant

Outstanding, Michael! So much beauty posted here. Not only do I keep looking up these days, but also scrolling up to see the great variety of cloud imagery that has already floated by on this B&W thread.

Hans, I must say I love that figure who appears to be standing quietly casting a shadow across your Leaf.

And Michael, I agree, the Surrealists were definitely onto something. There’s simply nothing like cloud gazing to tease the mind out of its box. Your imagery and comments are evident poetry.

Who knows what further ideas will be sparked, eh, Hans? I felt that zap!!

And then the calm… Two days ago, the sky was filled with large, soft, amorphous beauties. I’m accustomed to seeing our lofty friends heading off in the same direction, often bumping into each other and merging as they tumble on. But this was the first time I observed the illusion of clouds traveling towards each other. It was mesmerizing to watch the slow, gentle way they came together, sometime sending out little feelers first, other times shifting their shapes in anticipation of embrace. While the image below is not especially exciting, I offer it with the hope that it somehow conveys the quiet majesty of their folding into each other.

Coming Together_BW

Coming Together

Participant

Great Abstract Impressionism Michael. Subtle en fresh looking.

Very nice to read about your mesmerizing experience of the Coming Together of our so called lofty friends Keelin. The capture certainly conveys what you describe. You might describe it in your own words as ‘not especially exciting’, but I think it is a restful image in a perfect mix of simplicity and beauty.

As to the illusion of clouds you mention the shadow on my Leaf. That shadow intrigues me as well. What figure cast this shadow from somewhere up? From below the Leaf-like cloud structure – of which the veins stretched out like fingers – seemed to be completely lying in the sun.  Clouds play tricks on our perception.  ZAP!

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0124 B&W asr klein

Curvatures

Participant

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0103 B&W asr klein

Edges

Participant

The abstract images above are like a gentle massage for the eye. Very nice!

And Edges is particularly intriguing. I cannot help but see a determined crab crawling out of the sea onto the sand. Or maybe he goes the other way — from a black sand beach returning home?

Penninsula_BW

Peninsula

Participant

Keelin looks like your crab is about to get ate up. !!..I like the shot, its looks as if it was painted,,the Edges. Just enough greys to keep the black and white behaving themselves. Speakin about greys,,

A Windy Day

mar2217a1664

Participant

I would love to spend A Windy Day On A Peninsula. Crabs may nibble on my toes while I watch the sky…

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0053 B&W ns 58-166 064 klein

And Wonder What This Might Be

Participant

Could be this, could be that, and in the next moment, could be something Utterly Else! Especially if it’s a Windy Day.

NessieTheYounger

Participant

I agree Keelin. Eventually it could be something Utterly else.

What a peculiar picture you posted now. I imagine an aquarium with a seahorse and a long tall and pointed not yet discovered species of a fish. I like it very much. Unless they might be something Utterly Else here is someone to join them.

2015-07-05 Asperatus_0090 B&W uitsnede ns s35h0 klein s15

Fuzzy Tortoise

Participant

A Sundown Impression

mar1517a1628

Participant

To contrast with the soft and balanced grays of Sundown Impression another view at sunset..

2014-09 Frankrijk_0176 B&W uitsnede ns klein c

Rays And Shadows

Participant

Wow and Wow!! And more Shades of Grey…

Shades of Grey & Virga

Participant

You are doing well with your grays Keelin.

Yesterday lennies were present over here. It was even mentioned in the news / weather forecast with some great pictures of them. I wasn’t near the most spectacular part of it myself , but could picture some of their appearance.

2017-05-31 Wolken 019 B&W ns corr klein

Participant

Minimal Lennies

april0217a2149

Participant

..and what became of them..

april0217a2156

Participant

Great contrast and sharpness in your pictures Michael. That’s striking because lennies don’t seem to like sharpness. At least not in this case

2017-05-31 Wolken 014 B&W uitsnede ns143-182 204 klein c

Levels Of Lennies

Participant

Yes Hans, Lennies are a challenge to photograph. Getting focus is a matter of finding a sharp enough edge. I often keep the lennie at a distance,,abit less than full frame and focus on an edge at a mid point and with enough stop ( f22 or more(less) ) hope depth of field will cover . Often tho, on big or long Lenticulars..no depth of field will cover miles or kilometers. A wide angle zoom mite help if you can get close enough to a Lennie. Great depth of field.. I like to underexpose lennies also..The icy skin can show details when underexposed.

Here is a shot of Something I Found Swimming In My Sky

april0817a2194

Participant

You are right about the lennies Michael. And thanks for the tips. I probably have to wait some time to be able to try out. The last two rare opportunities that they showed up over here, I was lucky to capture some examples.

And nice catch you found swimming in the sky! This tasty fish must beware. There might be something that waits calmly for his prey to catch.

2017-05-22 Wolken_0056 B&W nsplus c klein

Dozing Dragon

Participant

Beautiful swimmer, Michael! Your image catches the light and movement one might see in that sea of wonder below. And as patient (and magnificent) as your Dozing Dragon may appear to be, Hans, a Hasty Retreat may be in order.

IMG_4233_BW_Hasty Retreat

Participant

Haha, this is funny Keelin! The hunter hunted. The Dragon retreats  in the face of this heavily armed danger.  Moreover I like the fish too much to let it be eaten.

But now ….  Pandora’ box has opened…..

2017-03-25 Wolken_0053 asr klein B&W an sch11

Participant

Uh oh! Scary Contents on the loose! Let’s just hope that Hope still lies within.

Pandora's box opened

Participant

What Are You Two Doing To My Aquarium!!??

The Last Guppy Cloud

april0817a2304

Participant

A School of Lennies To The Rescue! Or are they a pod?

Lennies To The Rescue

Participant

I am so sorry to have disturbed your aquarium with unwanted threats Michael. But Hope still lies within and the Last Guppy together with the school of Lennies must have felt save enough to enter the black and white arena. Very nice Guppy and very nice school of Lennies by the way.

To protect the aquarium against all kind of evil I hope to have found a solution.

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0060 B&W curve contrast klein

Gandalf The White

Participant

Is this Arc of Light your Gandalf’s doing, Hans? It does look like the darkness below is diminishing. Let’s hope it coaxes all those unsavory creatures back into the box!

Arc of Light

Participant

Cloud Composition

april1617a2540

Participant

Michael, the light in your Cloud Composition seems to keep moving! It has the intriguing feeling of a mystical dance, perhaps like a whirling dervish but in slow motion.

Here, I’m still working on capturing a Palette of Greys.

Palette of Greys_IMG_4804_BW

Participant

I like the Palette of Greys on both compositions. So back to the abstracts!

2015-09 France_0015 B&W uitsnede ns klein

Swirl

Participant

I think a lot of Movement. Eye movement takes the mind for a walk thru the image. Thats why horizontal lines are calm and peaceful. They are static. Vertical adds the drama and together swirls and arcs and loops with light and darks , a lot of fun can be had with the mind. Keelin you have the Golden Proportion thing going there! Adobe Lightroom has that overlay as well as the classic thirds and a couple of other variations that are all supposed to help in directing eye movement. I’ve been getting into the Golden Proportion overlay recently. Cropping to its parameters creates fun photographs…imho.

The Foto below was created before I started consciously using the Golden Proportion overlay. Yet it fits. I like to think of the shot and the way it was cropped as..

Cloud Flag.

feb1816a2959

Participant

The Divine Proportion…… I read somewhere that Dali used its concepts consciously in his paintings. Besides the golden ratio I like the subtle light whitish greys in Cloud Flag very much.

2017-06-11 Asperitas eo_0030 B&W uitsnede asr klein

Spinning Top

Participant

Divine musings on the waving and swirling and spinning of Light and Shadow. And Michael, your Altocumulus with virgo posted a couple of days ago on the CAS Gallery reminds me of wings! Here’s one that appears to be still attached — to an elf, would be my guess.

IMG_4996_BW_Elfin wing

Participant

I love these figures in the sky very much Keelin. Your guess must be right, an elf is attached.

I found another member of this family. It seems to be in the dancing mood.

2017-03-28 Virga_0032 B&W ns60-186 klein

Participant

AAAH The Cloud Sprites! Pixies Universal!

Here’s a Shot I Like For All Its Variety of Texture

april0817a2326

Participant

Soft tone on soft texture and contrast on other textures. The Variety of Texture has a quiet feel.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0033 B&W ns90-255 ac

Like Looking Through A Window Being Cleaned

Participant

Well, I’ve heard pixies are always ready to dance — and why not? As elusive as clouds, you’re lucky to have captured that one even for a mid-twirl moment, Hans.

And Michael, your Variety of Texture has much to say about light and shadow as well as surfaces. As does your Window Being Cleaned, Hans (clever title!). Here is one with a title inspired by your earlier posts.

IMG_4652_Minimal Texture_cropped_BW

Minimal Texture

PS: Ah, I see the winged elf image I posted earlier is rather too big to easily see how the wing is attached at the shoulder with a hint of upper arm. More evident, I think, when it is reduced to proper faery size.

Participant

I like your Minimal Texture Keelin and the title too.  Lines and tones all balanced. I will try to continue on the theme with a picture I once took with the Cloudspotter app.

IMG_1727 B&W uitsnede ns

Minimal Texture II

PS: For proper faery size click on a picture in the forum and the picture shows within the size of your screen. That way you don’t have to scroll the page to get the whole picture in the case of a vertical picture.

Participant

Heres a Shot I’ve Yet To Make Any Sense Out Of..so I’ll Call It

Soluble

oct1616a7922

Participant

I can see a head covered by a veil in the wind Michael.

2017-06-14 Wolken_0005 B&W asr klein

This might be a ballerina going up to the left or an athlete going down to the right.

Participant

Whether there’s sense to be made or not, your image is intriguing, Michael. The title seems quite fitting! Continuing the thread of mystery here, could this be a veil dropped by your dancer, Hans? Or the plume of a passing whale?

Veil or Whale

Veil or Whale?

Participant

Wow, Micheal, as I continue to look at your Soluble image above, what emerges is the distinct form of a female faery facing to the left with long hair flowing and butterfly-like wings. And as Hans pointed out some time ago, once ones sees, one cannot un-see. Magic is happening here!

Participant

Well, Keelin once seen,can’t unsee is my problem. I try to ” see’ the picture as it was in reality.. cirrus clouds overhead and I can’t find a way back to it. Portions are real but the whole ..won’t let me..One of the aspects of B&W..B&W is not reality. Thats what I like about your shots Hans and Keelin. Both of the above let reality go and tilt and drift , dance and drape as the clouds wish. The mind ,well my mind, goes with that with an ease.

Heres a CloudScape taken two years ago,,but I rediscovered it today.,,a bit of magic in that.

dec2115a1608

Participant

Yes Keelin a female faery face on Soluble! It can’t be unseen anymore and now I stick to the Whale in your Veil or Whale. Magic all over like in the foregoing picture from Michael.

2017-06-11 Asperitas eo_0010 uitsnede ac klein

Something On The Wing

Participant

To my eye, your layered CloudScape is like the wind written record of a celestial dialogue. Glad you rediscovered this gem, Michael.

And Hans, Something On the Wing reminds me of an Aurora Borealis dance. The sweep of clouds is no less beautiful for its restricted color.

Here’s another one that holds Some Bit of Mystery.

IMG_4731_BW

Participant

I agree Keelin, and thank you.

Your picture sure holds more then Some Bit Of Mystery. The Mystery grows when I keep looking at it.

2017-06-11 Asperitas eo_0014 asr klein

Will-o’-the-wisp

Participant

I like the energy and flows of direction in this shot…

nov2416a8590

Participant

Cloud Source

nov2416a8597a1

Participant

Hans and Michael, it seems we only ever have but a fleeting moment to capture a Will-o’-the-wisp or a Cloud Source — at least in imagery (or imagination). And as it turns out, in a fair turn-about, your images above have quite captured me.

IMG_4713_CuriouserBW

Curiouser and curiouser

Participant

I  wasn’t able to contribute the last days and catching up now I am delighted to see what was posted in the meantime. Energy and direction, Cloud Bullet and Curiouser and curiouser are all Fantastic!

The heat in Phoenix has been on the news here and even here the temperatures were very high although they seemed to be peanuts compared with 120F. Wow. A refreshing picture from Keelin must have helped to endure it Michael.

2016-07-06 Kennemerstrand_0093 c B&W ns sch7 klein

Some Disturbance Somewhere

Participant

Aaah Fleeting Moments..perhaps a title for a cloud video.But the little virgas and big virgas drift so eloquently. I’ve often thought in terms..that if you see a great cloud pic..and don’t have a camera at the ready..its too late. Yet yesterday i saw a pic and the camera was  at least 2 minutes  away..Ok, I took a few short cuts..yes the rug got wet..but I got the shots. The clouds were slower than I thought I guess. Sometimes they fleet fast  and other times they fleet slow.

Well Its definitely Monsoon Season in the desert  whether I like It or not. So below is in tribute..

Monsoon Bomb..

july0415a6975

Participant

Monsoon bomb, but not exploding yet. It looks like the extreme temperatures are gone now Michael (at least I hope so for you).

Yes the fleeting moments. The occasions that you I were in time to catch a striking cloud configuration with my camera I forget, but I always remember the ones that I am too late.. Grrr.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0049 B&W asr klein

Clouded Cloud

Participant

Monsoon Season in Arizona: Moisture for the soil – and the soul! Perhaps it starts with a Small Disturbance Somewhere (wonderfully mysterious image, Hans) before morphing into Michael’s Monsoon. Does this mean the temps are now more tolerable there? Weather stats still show 114F for Phoenix. Yikes!

I’ve been told the French use this phrase for window shopping: “leche la fenetre” which literally translates to “licking the window”. Temping, nest-ce pas?

Rain on Window_BW

And Hans, your Clouded Cloud – it looks like you were there that time at just the perfect moment. Extraordinary!

Participant

Thank you Keelin, I learned something about window shopping. C’est vraiment Cool and certainly tempting!

Let’s cool Phoenix further down with this

2016-07-04 Lacunosus_0026 B&W Niveaux smal klein

Refreshing Shower

Participant

Ahhh! I almost had to turn down the audio on that one, Hans! And how about a run through the Sprinklers?

Run Through The Sprinklers

Participant

Haa..it really isn’t about cooling off here in the desert Keelin. Its about drying out. I would take 112f with 7% humidity over 105f with 25% humidity. Its a comfort issue. Local weather news folks have introduced a ” Feels Like Factor” to their nightly forecasting. Like ” windchill factor” its a estimation of abandon all hope. High temps with high humidity feels like a being slimed..Stay indoors where A/C takes all the moisture out of the cool air, and you’ll be fine. Go Out Side,,at any time of the day,anytime..24/7..and you will be slimed. Of course..to survive, one must drink copious amounts of water so you don’t dehydrate because you are sweating so much..slimed.. The difference is..at 7 % humidity, you sweat but it evaporates almost instantly..therefore no beads of sweat running down your temples. But at 15% humidity , sorry,,the stains on your shirt or blouse tell no lies. Its uncomfortable beyond tolerance for many folks.They leave. For me..Monsoon is the season of Cumulo Nimbus, lightning shows, rainbows, pelus and velum that stretch for miles etc etc. An if anybody sees me at the parks or wherever, taking pics in the middle of this weather..they too must be sweat stained as I , because they are outside. So..its part of the deal. If ya want..ya gotta give.. to be slimed is to be alive..Small price for Great shows. Maybe by mid October, its all over. The high pressure dome over 4 Corners breaks down and its pumping action quits pulling the moisture up from the sub tropics. We go back to the ” dry heat” and 2 to 3 weeks without a cloud in the sky.

Speaking of cloud in the sky..below is a Study of One.

april0817a2262

Participant

Very nice Sprinklers Keelin, the Study of One is looking at it with mouth wide open! I love them both.

It is hard to imagine the hot and slimy circumstances of Phoenix from where I am living. It is a world of extremes in the desert with no clouds at all for weeks and then the overwhelming kind of clouds we know from the pictures of Michael on the gallery. Monsoon season?

Today the Cloud-a-Day surprised me with information about Alfred Stieglitz and his Equivalence project.  Amazing! I like to think we honor his heritage in our thread of B&W’s.

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0099 B&W asr klein c2

Tribute To Alfred Stieglitz

Participant

Thanks for clarification on the unfortunate slime factor, Michael. Sounds quite miserable, making your own rain (sweat) in that fashion. And now I understand that it’s more a Bit of Breeze, you’re looking for.Breeze

Regarding today’s Cloud-A-Day homage to Stieglitz, indeed, we do honor his vision and intent, Hans! He is like a party to this ongoing party. And your Tribute is a beautiful testament to it.

Participant

Stieglitz with his ” Equivalence” still resonates with me to this day. Being ” touched” or provoked by a shape or pattern or nature at its most unbridled..is it nature or is it a humanbeing opening oneself allowing oneself , to be touched, to be provoked,,by the most primal , natural, around us..? The idea that clouds may have an imprint on our, humans, genetic history seems plausible. As long as we have been around, so have clouds.

A tribute to A Stieglitz and his ” soul mate’, his ” Twin”, Georgia OKeefe..

feb1816a2979

Participant

It only seems fitting to crown Volume III with another grateful nod to the pioneers.

IMG_4801_BWDesert Bloom

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.