Black & White Thread Volume IV

Black & White Thread Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Thread Volume IV

Viewing 98 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Black & White Thread Volume III ended with tributes to Alfred Stieglitz triggered by the Cloud-a-Day that payed attention to his abstract cloud pictures from the beginning of 20th century. Anyone who enters this thread later – so to say when Volume III has disappeared from the row of actual topics – I recommend to read the poetic text that Michael posted about Alfred Stieglitz and his soulmate Georgia O’Keeffe. Then also look at the tributes to Alfred Stieglitz from Michael (it could be taken from the “Nebulae” series of Stieglitz himself) and from Keelin with her lovely flowering  and subtle Desert Bloom. What a beautiful way to end Volume III and I am already curious about what Volume IV will lead us to.

Just for a start of Volume IV

2016-08-01 Wolken_0004 Niv smal B&W sch10 klein

Something Alien

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

There’s a sweet serenity in Something Alien that is very appealing, Hans. It makes for an excellent and intriguing start to Volume IV where I expect we’ll see more mystery, magic, and marvelous cloud play.

We’ve often spoken of how challenging these ethereal images can be to capture. Here’s One That Almost Got Away.

One that almost got away

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

We have Met The Aliens..and The Aliens Are US!

feb1915a3107B

Participant

Wow, what a kick-off for Volume IV! Two monumental unearthly abstract pictures.

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0116 B&W ns70-192 corr klein

Let’s Follow This Road

Participant

Yes, let’s! I very much like that we can’t see what lies ahead on This Road of (y)ours, Hans. Still, there’s comfort in knowing we shall ever be In the Company of Clouds, in every shade, of and ‘tween, the allure of B&W.

IMG_4705_In the Company of Clouds

Participant

feb1316a2906

Participant

Great composition Keelin and what a mighty Ridge by Michael. We share clouds over continents and are able to view far beyond our horizons exchanging our pictures. It gives me

2017-04-10 Wolken_0001 B&W ns klein

Energy

Participant

Feeling Energy here too, Hans, and inspiration as well. Michael, the strong sculptural quality of your latest image led me to want to view it in all directions (hope you don’t mind) and I see how easily it could lend itself to becoming a work of art in any direction. Several tangible mediums come to mind.

Encouraged to try this with one of my old photos, I gave it a turn and found it evoked a completely different feeling than it did in its original orientation.

IMG_4730_BW_90˚

Participant

(continued from above…) Maybe I should have stopped there. One more twist and it quickly (and irreversibly) morphed into something rather Otherworldly. I shall leave it to your own imaginations lest you be stuck with what emerged there for me.

IMG_4730_BW_180˚_Otherworldly

Otherworldly Creature

Participant

Nice experiment with rotations Keelin. The portrait picture has something majestic to me, while the landscape one unveiled an otherworldly shark to me.I like them.

This reminded me of experiments I did with converting Black and White to White and Black. I found out that in most cases the result disappoints or does not offer something extra, but sometimes a striking new composition pops up. Next one is an example I liked and it stays close to the otherworldly theme I think.

2016-08-01 Wolken_0002 W&B klein sch10

Alien Rasta Woman

Participant

Keelin you mite be surprised by how many shots I’ve posted here that are not on original orientation.

How many anecdotes and out right jokes about a famous  artist’s work being hung upside down? To me its a sign of a good job if  a  work is enjoyed no matter what the orientation. Its a good habit to have to look at your creation as many ways possible.

This one below works for me only one way, the way you see it. But thats just my opinion.

mar0516a3361

Participant

Whad’da Ya Got?
      mar2816a3921

Participant

I’ve got something to contrast with these voluptuous whites

2017-06-03 Charigny 002 B&W uitsnede ns142-196 034 klein c

Participant

What I got from what you two gave was a mind trip! Traversing landscapes beautiful and “dreamatic”. And here, perhaps a resting place for a cloud trekker, is one that offers The Softness of Greys.

IMG_4101_BW_The Softness of Clouds

And Hans, your Alien Rasta Woman further above is absolutely stunning!

Participant

Wow, from high Contrast to hardly any Contrast, nice journey! I’ll Meet you all half way…

april09a4214

Participant

Well, thank you Keelin. And your Softness of Greys is as beautiful as mysterious. A resting place for sure.

Like Michael stated: from one extreme to another and then in between. Now entering the journey:

2017-05-22 Wolken_0040 B&W nsplus c klein
      The Mystery Guest

Participant

Could it be that The Mystery Guest is contemplating The Landscape Ahead?

Textured_WB

Participant

He certainly does Keelin. At the same time he is wandering through this – to use your own new found word – dreamatic landscape.

2017-03-31 Luchten_0042 B&W asr

Now The Mystery Guest Focusses To Take A Closer Look And To Absorb All The Details Of The Landscape Ahead

Participant

Water Bed

april0916a4241

Participant

That’s a nice one to rest on for any sort of wanderer, Michael.

2017-07-05 Wolken_0020 B&W asr klein

Spotted Today

Participant

So Calder Said, ” I’ll Cut You Up And Hang You!”

mar2915a3968

Participant

Very clever, you two! Meanwhile, Chagall Begins to Dream.

Chagall Begins to Dream

PS: Enjoyed your beautiful Lacunosus on the gallery yesterday, Michael!

Participant

Hihi, the one about Calder I had to look up. I did not know about him. Very funny and applicable.

Chagall is having a nice dream, Keelin. It can’t be a coincidence that when Chagall Begins To Dream Miro left his signature yesterday in the sky above me.

2017-07-05 Wolken_0012 B&W uitsnede asr klein

Miro Was here

Participant

Keelin thanks for your kind words. Don’t know what happened but the pic posted here in CAS Gallery actually lost some of its contrast compared to the same shot on my computer. It appears it gained “lights” and kinda looks flat compared to the one I have . Oh well. I have a couple of other color pics taken during same event. I’ll get around posting them soon. Thanks again.

Your Chagall dreamactic touched me. And Han’s Miro reflects well also. Neat!

Speakin about touching, maybe folks can feel this..

MONSOONERISM

july0717a3867

Participant

Wow, the threatening atmosphere of this towering monsoon cloudscape is almost touchable, Michael. Heavy.

I look forward for your other pictures of lacunosus.

2016-09 France_0024 B&W niv smal sch14 klein

Cracks In The Ceiling

Participant

Both Monsoonerism and Cracks In The Ceiling have wonderful textural qualities and dimensions. I can easily feel them in my mind. Here, a flat canvas beckons an unknown artist’s first strokes.

Who Was Here?Who Was Here?

Participant

You have done magic with “Who Was Here?” Keelin. These first strokes of an unknown artist have an incredible thick almost touchable texture. Also very funny. I hope we will see more from this artist.

2016-07 Wolken_0023 B&W ns klein

Flat Feet

Participant

Keelin..Your identity shot reminds of the Oriental illustration Art .. sumi-e..Nice!

Here is some Thick and Delicate

apr1115a4489

Participant

Thank you both for your kind words. Here is one I think continues the theme of dimensions and textures — all so touchable! If we could peel open a cloud, might it look something like this?

IMG_5132_BWThe Softness Inside

Participant

Thick And Delicate, The Softness Inside: they make me think of good Belgian chocolate bonbons. Beautiful and tasty.

2017-06-14 Wolken_0032 B&W an klein

Oil On Canvas

Participant

Talk about tasty treats… Oil on Canvas looks delicious! And the best news is you can indulge all you wish. There’s not a single calorie even in a sky-sized Cup o’Clouds.

Cup o' Clouds

Participant

You really indulge us with this Cup o’Clouds, Keelin. It has the design of a delicate art nouveau piece of china. At this tea-party there must be also

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0082 B&W s35h0 an klein

The Mad Hatter

Participant

Reading The Paper

april2417a2660

Participant

Ha, striking image. Magic, Michael

2014-12-08 Wolken_0039 B&W ns klein

Taking A Bath But Forgot The Paper

Participant

Fantastic images! Even a subtle face can be perceived in your Reading The Paper, Michael. And after absorbing news of the world, a good soak in the tub might do much to balance both mind and spirit. I’d like to move my tub out of doors and soak in that peaceful view you have there, Hans. The ultimate in relaxation — especially if it’s a BubbleBath.

BubbleBath

The question remains: Where do the bubbles end and the clouds begin?

Participant

Lewis Carrol Had His Rabbit Holes So I Suppose Cloud Appreciators Have Their Cloud Holes,,That Go Up Instead of Down. Of Course, to Photograph Them ,Is To Never Be Too Late.

june0615a5777

Participant

Capturing clouds make one feel the hasty white rabbit for sure. Once seen a nice cloudscape you already must have your camera in hand to capture it. You were certainly prepared Michael to shoot this great asperitas.

Keelin you triggered my memory with your philosophic question where bubbles end and clouds start. The idea of pulling the tub outside to observe the clouds from, is also a quite appealing idea and seeing next picture you might think I suited the action to the word.

2015-06 Bellen_0048 B&W asr  c klein

Bubbles And Clouds

Participant

Well, I for one would like to catch a ride inside one of your crystal clear bubbles, Hans. And float on through the Sky’s version of the rabbit hole you’ve made reference to, Michael. Such a Mysterious Passageway could lead anywhere!

IMG_4802_Passageway

Participant

Your composition in grays is overwhelming, Keelin!

… and you description of our journey is very poetic…. we follow a Mysterious Passageway, a road to Anywhere.

Today I had a lucky day on our journey. Looking up (as usual…..) I saw a large part of the parhelic circle.  This is a rather rare phenomenon although sometimes small parts of the parhelic can be seen attached to a sundog. This was the second time I saw a parhelic circle this large and without sundogs. It lasted just five or ten minutes glistening in the passing cirrus formation.

2017-07-15 Parhelic_0013 B&W ac c klein

Parhelic Circle

Participant

Some minutes later you can still see the parhelic on the top of the cirrus streaks

2017-07-15 Parhelic_0019 B&W asr klein

Parhelic Circle II

Participant

Wow, Hans, you are lucky indeed! Looks like 5-10 minutes of sheer bliss. I like seeing both images you’ve posted here as it shows how we can be fully captivated and glued to the spot in which we first see such splendor. While I’ve yet to see such a wonder myself, I feel fortunate to have looked up while watering the garden one morning to be awed by the appearance of a 22˚ halo (prettier, of course, in color).

22˚Halo_BW

PS: Also enjoyed your River of Stratus on the CAS Gallery – lovely!

Participant

Hans,Its good to see the attention paid to clouds above ,paying off. Parhelic Circles are rare in these parts. I witnessed  such a show over year ago from my backyard and felt very special seeing and photographing it. Nobody else in Phoenix seemed to see it..! Timing is everything and Your Timing was perfect. Congrats!

Keelin , heres a look up into a cloud hole , with a hint of  Anywhere in the distance

ma1716a5396a6

Participant

My replies seem to get lost after submitting. I have had this once before. A bug is at work. Grrr.

Participant

Thank you Keelin, it is nice  to read  you enjoy my River Of Stratus. Looking up in wonder of the clouds will also lead to encounter all kind of halos like you did with the 22 degrees halo. Other halos will follow for sure, when you know  about the circumstances that are favorable for halos to appear (mainly cirrostratus and cirrus). And so you are right Michael, attention for clouds indeed pays off this way. It is always a pleasant surprise to see for example a bright CZA or any other halo.

It is funny to confess that I did not even see a rather common sundog ever before I got interested in clouds. The fascination for optical phenomena comes for free with the appreciation of clouds. And like Michael wrote, seeing a halo you seem to be the only one that observes these wonders of light play. I have had several occasions with my head in the sky and with my camera in the hand that people asked what I was seeing.  After I pointed out there was a sundog or a halo they were always surprised about the existence of these phenomena and thanked me for having explained it.

And so you find out that a CZA or the so called smile in the sky is not that rare as you might think. The point is that one must be aware of the favorable circumstances to look up and find one, since it only appears near the zenith.

Back to Anywhere in Black and White.

Participant

So I seem to have tricked the confused forum by cutting my reply in two parts.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0008 B&W asr klein

Still Some Darkness On Our Journey To Anywhere Waiting For An Encounter Behind The Beckoning Light

Participant

And so I find out that adding some text with a link to a site in the visual mode might have been the problem in posting my former replies. Now a retry in text modus.

PS. I hope you both know about the site

Atmospheric optics

Every optical phenomenon is presented together with scientific explanations. I noticed that Gavin works together with the owner of this site, Les Cowley. It is a goldmine of information and shows great pictures.

Participant

Hans, I did not know the Atmospheric Optics site, so thank you very much! It will be a great pleasure to explore. And I’m not surprised to hear Gavin is involved in it.

The cloudy character below (who apparently has a twin across the pond!) has been haunting my archives for quite some time, but I had yet to settle on a proper name for him. Based on what’s been written above (“…a hint of Anywhere in the distance” and “…our journey to Anywhere…”), it seems only right to call him “Anywhere”. Wouldn’t you agree?

Ghost_BWAnywhere Beckons

Participant

I made a turn at Anywhere

july0315a6578

Participant

I agree Keelin, Anywhere is a proper name for the twins across he pond. Quite amazing similarity of all three abstracts.

Michael took a surprising turn from Anywhere leading us to a mysterious, soft and a bit woolen atmosphere.

I don’t know where to go.

2017-03-31 Luchten_0016 asr B&W ns60-190 klein

ZigZag

Participant

Michael, kudos on your Turn at Anywhere. It is surely as seductive as any hypnagogic imagery I’ve ever seen. And Hans, not to worry, ZigZag itself is a direction worth following — new perspectives at every turn! Then again, we can always Just Spin Around and take off anew.

Just Spin Around

Participant

Yes a Turn At Anywhere is seductive. Now I get lost in your Spin Keelin. Great composition. I like to continue this movement and this is the

2017-07-18 Lacunosus_0061B&W asr klein

Spin Off

Participant

Will it Go Round In Circles, like the Clouds in The Sky

jul0315a6474

Participant

That it will ~~~ and more…

Unfurling

Unfurling

Participant

Quite amazing these continuations on the theme op spinning, curling, unfurling and other circular motions. I like them all.

Motion leads to

2017-07-19 Cum_0006 B&W an klein

Change Of Weather

I don’t know what I do see here except for a exceptional cloud configuration. Some characteristics of asperitas can be seen in the thick band of cloud at the bottom. Any idea?

Participant

2017-07-19 Cum_0017 B&W ac klein c

Somewhat later from a different angle

Participant

Hans..IMHO you have photographed Asperitas. Majority of photos of Asperitas are of the perspective from below;The wave rolls seen from below. You have photos of..what I will guess as .smaller manifestations at an opportune distance that shows the lower level of wave but also the action going on above the wave..horizontal and vertical. I have been fortunate enough to witness the same. I have a shot in the Gallery taken early in the A.M. where I captured the wave below with the aspirated above. It seems to me..the wild columns of cloud indicate the upward flow of air that creates the waves. Lots of energy involved with Asperitas.

A shot of a bit more calmer..

Evening Balm

june2615a6227

Participant

Thank you Michael, I was not sure. I think I found the example of yours on the gallery.

Great light play and brightness in your Evening Balm!

Just this morning I spotted this one. It looks like it was destined to come next.

2017-07-19 Cum_0046 B&W ac klein

Interweaving

Participant

Intermixing

oct1614a0363

Participant

After Evening Balm again great detail and sharpness in Intermixing, Michael.

2015-06-25 CHA_0020 B&W uitsnede ns klein

Rearranging

Participant

Thank you, Hans and Michael. Having just returned from a long weekend under cloudless skies, the latest images above are a delightful balm for these eyes. In gratitude, here’s a Layered Cake to share.

Layered Cake

Participant

That is a tasty Layered Cake to eat Keelin, thank you. I took some coffee with it this morning. a perfect way to start the day!

Recently I spotted this peculiar lacunosus at sunset

2017-07-18 Lacunosus_0072 B&W ac klein

Ragged Veil

Participant

Something I Found in The Back Of My Desk Drawer

april09a4212

Participant

Something I Found On My External Memory

2014-12-08 Wolken_0022 B&W uitsnede ns klein

Participant

Not a Team Player..

july0415a6960

Participant

This one is also operating solo

2017-07-19 Cum_0014 B&W ac klein

A Shark Betraying His Presence With His Fin

Participant

Fabulous photos, you two! Peculiar, funny, stunning, surreal.

Something I found in the mirror that scared me more than a shark.

Something I Found In My Morning Mirror

My Hair in the Morning

Participant

Thank you Keelin, and so is yours!

And don’t be scared, you can make a harp out of what you see in the mirror in the morning and the day will end in music.

2017-07-19 Cum_0081 B&W ac klein

From The Musical Hair

Participant

Thank you, Hans. You’ve inspired a new “harpdo” which I’ll be sure to try out tomorrow morning. And Michael, just be careful rifling through that desk drawer. You wouldn’t want a Startled Stinger on your hands.

Sky scorpion_BW

Participant

Sharkcularis

may1917a3147

Participant

A School Of Sharkcularis

2017-07-27 Lennies_0006 B&W ac klein

Participant

Fin-tastic timing as the annual celebration of Shark Week wraps up~~~

A Fan of Fins!

A Fan of Fins

Participant

I am a big fan of your Fan of Fins Keelin. Subtle structures.

Here is another one of the series of cirrocumulus lennies.

2017-07-27 Lennies_0025 B&W ac kleien

Sheltered Bay

Participant

Found this in the Sheltered Bay ~~~

Seaweed in Sandy Shallows

Seaweed in Sandy Shallows

Participant

Nice find in the Sandy Shallows, Keelin. Did you leave this one on the shores?

2017-07-18 Lacunosus_0078 uitsnede B&W ac klein c

Footprint

Participant

Theres Always One in a Crowd

may0716a5239

Participant

2017-07-31 Parhelic_0063 s1h4 contr70 klein

Strange Perspective

Participant

Very funny, Hans! Who could have predicted that Footprint would find its way into the B&W forum?! And as for the images that follow it, There’s Always One in a Crowd and Strange Perspective are both worth Waiting In Line to see.

Waiting In Line

Participant

Thank you….. and great composition Keelin. Love it. Intriguing soft rolls emerging from the left, Waiting in Line and trying to hide at the right, going to ……. anywhere? Beautiful.

2017-07-19 Cum_0082 B&W asr klein

Cavity

Participant

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0094 B&W asr klein

I Started The Day Today With This One (And Others)

Participant

Such a lovely and serene image to start the day — thank you for sharing this, Hans. It is a calming contrast to the Wild Skies of Yesterday Afternoon here.

Wild Skies of Yesterday Afternoon_BW

Participant

…which was followed by Thunderous Applause — or the Sound of Many Hands Clapping.

Many Hands Clapping_BW

Participant

I love wild skies and Wild Skies in articular. They deserve the Clapping of Many Hands, Keelin. Great short story in two pictures.

Yesterday morning over here was a morning in between wildness and serenity. Lots of movements and a rare asperitas event….. that almost nobody noticed….. but gave great sculpting in the sky. Michael once wrote : asperitas love black and white. It might be even vice versa.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0063 B&W asr c klein

Participant

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0082 corr B&W asr klein

No Words

Participant

So glad you were there and aware to take notice of the morning’s variable speed dance, Hans — and with camera in hand! Excellent captures of two distinct moods of Asperitas. And I agree, Michael is right about their affinity for black and white portraiture.

Below is an image that appears to me as if a long-fingered hand is holding the sun, ready to let it roll like a bright marble across the morning sky. How quickly the light would change and another dance begin.

Asperitas Hand

Participant

Great choreography and light-play Keelin! The contrast works great.

Over here today again an aperitas event. Quite rare! I read in the article about the origin of asperitas (see home page), that gravity waves are supposed to be the cause – on their turn generated by large convective activity elsewhere. Well I think that suits the case over here.

Next one I captured today and I like it for its composition and elegance of the lines.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0142 B&W asr corr klein

Participant

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0131 B&W corr klc S klein

Another View On Asperitas

Participant

Beautiful compositions, Hans! Your series of Asperitas is truly breathtaking.

Here is a Mostly Greys image that I like for its soft, sleepy feel.

[…oops! can’t seem to add an image at the moment… the icon has disappeared. Hopefully a fix will come soon.]

Yes, the image upload functionality has gone AWOL due to a recent software update. Our developer is onto it, and so we hope this will be working again before too long!

Participant

Thank you for the quick fix, Gavin and assistant! Now that that shadow has passed, here is the Mostly Greys image…

Mostly Greys

Participant

Also my thanks for the fast respons Gavin! Seeing your contribution to this topic this morning I just thought you maybe posted a black and white contribution, but the fix is also much appreciated.

I wouldn’t have liked to miss the Mostly Greys by Keelin! Beautiful.

Yesterday I took a picture of the sun just shining through a curtain of altocumulus. No overexposure because of the clouds, but just translucent enough to see the contours of the complete sun. And what surprised me was the way the sun seems to be drawn with a fine pencil in the sky.

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0047 B&W asr klein

Participant

I see I wasn’t the only one with computer problems. I hope remedies stay in place for both of us.

Yay!

may0717a2938

Participant

Yay!, Michael. Just as I thought you were having a vacation or something, you come up with this enthousiastic cloud scene.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0034 B&W ac klein

Was Michael Here?

Participant

Your Sun just shining is a beauty, Hans, easily emulating the mystery of the Moon. And how lucky to be able to stare directly at it here for as long as we wish and not be blinded!

Michael, missed you! This morning, I was thinking of your earlier comments regarding image rotation. Playing with the photo below, I found each 90˚ turn evoked a different emotion. After a few spins, it finally came to rest, somehow feeling More Hopeful in this orientation.

More Hopeful

Participant

Yes Keelin the Rise from Lower Left to Upper Right Seems a Natural Uplift.
      Below I Use Pure White and Black Sparingly

march 2717a2087

Participant

It is this way in rest Keelin. For me it is the right orientation. perfect balance and great composition.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0043 B&W uitsnede klc heldmidplus klein

Whitish Greys

Participant

let your eyes adjust

july0315a6616

Participant

A lenticular cloudspotter laying on his back and blowing a ring in the air……

Apart from this association I like it very much.

Lately some clouds auditioned at sunset. I cast this one.

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0025 c B&W asr klein

Participant

Those eyes in the skies are remarkable, Michael. What a nice shot of surrealism!

And a funny interpretation, Hans. Your image that followed looks to have been taken at sea and almost as if the fellow you saw in Michael’s photo had flipped over. Is this him now?

Swimming Through The WavesSwimming Through the Waves

Participant

Why Does That Look Like Neil Young? Hes Too Old to be Swimming in Rough Water,OK,Maybe Van Morrison, But Hes Too Old Too..My Goodness

A little fun with a spot.

mar2915a3976

Viewing 98 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.