Black & White Thread Volume V

Black & White Thread Volume V

Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Thread Volume V

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

The Black & White Thread Volume IV has ended already with post number 100 from Michael: “a little fun with a spot”. Threads must end and threads must start anew.

In Swimming Through The Waves your swimmer is defying the high waves, Keelin, despite of his assumed age. Was it Neil Young or was it Van the man? He is not doing a moondance. It is only rock and roll but I like it.

Now I like to continue the swimming theme for the opening of Volume V of the Black and White Thread.

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0008 B&W ac klein

I wish you could swim, ….. like the dolphins can swim.

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Nice wrap and fresh start, Michael and Hans! Here’s a little fun with a swish ~~~

IMG_5123_In the Wake of the Dolphins

In the Wake of the Dolphins

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Fog

may0817a3003

Participant

Indeed a f fresh start with your turbulent windy seascape in the wake of the dolphins, Keelin.

Next a mysterious atmosphere in Fog from Michael, showing a cumulus looming from the foggy surroundings almost like an approaching boat. Fantastic.

2017-08-14 Pileus_0053 B&W asr c klein

There Is A Lot Going On

Participant

Some Fun With Depth

may16a1

Participant

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0060 B&W asr klein c

In Depth Coincidence

Participant

Love the above! Below, not a lot going on. Just A Few Soft Layers and a little something to add a bit of depth and beckon the eye.IMG_5307_A Few Soft Layers

Participant

It is the little something that does it Keelin. It betrays there must be something mysterious going on….

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0125 B&W ac klein

Seen From The Depth

Participant

An Offering of Light

An Offering of Light!

Participant

Offer accepted! Thank you Keelin.

For a change this is an original non-photo-shopped picture except for the conversion to black and white.

2017-08-14 Pileus_0069 origineel klein

Another Offering Of Light dedicated to Maxfield Parrish.

Participant

Evocation

may2517a3488

Participant

2017-05-22 Wolken_0090 B&W ns98-224 100 klein

Light As A Feather

Participant

Dedications, Evocations, the lightness of feathers. All aspects inspire…

IMG_4746_Found This Under My Pillow

Found This One Under My Pillow

Participant

Very nice, these feathers tickle the inspiration.

Next one is very different, spotted today on the edge of an upcoming front.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0038 B&W asr klein

The Long Black Veil

Participant

As seen through the gauze of a [beautiful!] Long Black Veil…

Veil of Uncertainty

A Landscape of Uncertainty

Participant

Hyena

may0817a3017

Participant

Your Hyena is a haunting beauty, Michael. I want to go there and hear him calling out to the brightness in the darkness.

Below, with a nod to Leonard Cohen…

IMG_5351_Tangle of Matter and GhostA Tangle of Matter and Ghost

Participant

Ha, over and over surprising posts! I always like to devote some notes about them. First the view through a veil on a Landscape of Uncertainty. A very creative and witty reply with the granularity you applied, Keelin. Then the lonely Hyena is a great finding and composition. The tangle of Matter and Ghost is a perfect title for the lovely cloudy chaos from Keelin. And secondary it made me learn that there exists an interesting book about the late Buddhist singer. I have great memories of some performances of him.

I like to post a follow up on each theme having collected the last two months a lot of black and white candidates impatiently waiting to be shared. So ….

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0125 B&W ns rechts en midden klein c

Moonlit Prairie

Participant

2017-03-25 Wolken_0179 h60c0 klein B&W asr

The Cloud Of Unknowing

Participant

Fact of The Matter

april1717a2607

Felicity Smart avatarFelicity Smart
      Participant

Hope this lenticularis over Mt Wellington, Tasmania is worthy.P1360091

Participant

Welcome Felicity! You’re too modest. I like the picture very much and the scenery is doing very well in black and white. Thanks for sharing. I suppose it is also doing well in color on the gallery. I hope to see more from you.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0026 asr klein

What’s The Matter

Participant

Felicity, welcome! You’ve captured an impressive “Lennie” with a good dose of drama and mystery. Thank you for sharing it with us, and to echo Hans, we hope you will continue to post here.

And Hans, I enjoy the notes very much (bedanken!) for the mind-sparkling way they work to weave the threads of our communal tapestry.

From both you and Michael, I’m still learning to see the essence (what IS the matter) of cloud beauty drilled down — which in turn, not surprisingly, reminds me of the succinct writings of Lydia Davis. It’s become a fruitful exercise in stretching the mind as well.

Mind Over Matter

Mind Over Matter

Participant

An Entirely Different Matter

april2417a2654

Participant

Thank you Keelin for your kind words, and even in Dutch. Hartelijk dank! So let’s weave further on our communal tapestry to speak in your own well found words. Mind Over Matter and An Entirely Different Matter are both perfect abstract continuations on the theme.

2017-07-31 Zonsondergang_0011 B&W ac klein

A Matter Of Light

PS, a  somewhat different matter: after I found a follow-up in choosing a title that matters, I found out that “a matter of light” leads via Google to the site of an Australian photographer (link). He has a gallery dominated by pictures of mainly animal life, but also just a few abstracts that come close to our cloud abstracts. Furthermore he published some tutorials on photo-shopping, for example about noise reduction. I think they are interesting to know about.

Participant

Ringers

may1617a3350

Participant

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0151 B&W ns105-195 klein

Cloud With A Twist

Participant

May 19

may1917a3053

Participant

Wonder-full images above, you two — very nourishing to these local-cloud-deprived eyes! It’s been all blue skies here (again) for days, so it’s back to spelunking the dark caverns of archival photos. But wait… is that A Way Out, just past the stalactites?

IMG_4759_A Way Out

Participant

MAY 19 is on fire, Michael!

Too pity the sky is cloudless over there, Keelin but spelunking certainly had its benefits!

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0197 B&W ns klein

This One Has Grown And Came Near To Drop Its Burden

Participant

Not unlike some Popcorn that also fell from above…

Popcorn_July 2015_BW

Participant

Nov 20

nov2017a4610

Participant

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0204 B&W an klein

Watching The Show On NOV 20 After Enjoying Some Tasty Pop Corn During The Break

Participant

July 21

july2117a4672

Participant

2017-05-22 Wolken_0049 B&W ns85-212r klein

Circus Cirrus

Participant

This Is Not a Sunset

june2417a3794

Participant

This Is Not a Sunset but for some reason I see this large animal, can ‘t help….

Apart from this strange inclination of the mind to see things in clouds it really is a beautiful abstract with great play of darkness and detailed bright whites, thus giving the feel of a zodiac sign. Intriguing.

For some reason this elephant seems to follow me. I am not paranoia and it is not a pink one.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0230 B&W uitsnede ns76-210 klein

Circus Cumulus

Participant

So funny, Hans! You are a keen observer (even in the dark of a movie theatre) and perhaps prescient in what you’ve seen in Michael’s intriguing Not a Sunset (the image below is evidence!). And as adorable as your friend above may appear, I’d watch out for him at sunset.

Lacerta

Lacerta

Participant

Floccus Pond

jul2117a4661

Participant

With the zodiac sign Lacerta I felt tempted to let the bat(man) return like you foresaw Keelin in a former thread, but I didn’t want to disturb Michael’s pond again with another dangerous celestial creature.

Now someone else makes his return.

2017-07-19 Cum_0040 B&W ac klein

Miro Revisited

Participant

Nice Mystery Hans..

Feelers

april3717a2692

Participant

Thank you Michael. And …. your feelers made me remember the ingenious Cloud Doodles, you once introduced. I see some resemblance with Feelers although there is also a lot of difference, mainly in the cloud-context. It is nice to scroll through the pictures of the thread Cloud Doodles again and reread you text. Next one comes close…

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0157 B&W asr corr klein

Participant

Below might fit in with the Cloud Doodles, but posted here, it could be The Return of the Unknown Artist from B&W IV (perhaps a friend of Miro?). The mystery continues…

Return of the Unknown Artist

Participant

Ha, the unknown artist returns as I hoped for. He or she leaves for the second time a very mysterious bright cloudscape. Quite surreal. It makes me puzzle what I see…..

2017-07-18 Lacunosus_0071 B&W asr klein

Did The Unknown Artist Leave His Trace?

Participant

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0171 B&W ns110-191 klein

Blond

Participant

Test…not taking photos

july2817a5076

Participant

So I update java and adobe reader..now this site won’t take a foto on first try..but if I post text first then edit in foto..i have success..Any body can give me a clue what is going on..or not…here?

Participant

Talk about surreal! Who or what might be tethered to that bright chain of light you’ve teased us with, Hans? A blond artist hovering above an alien planet? The mind can’t help but wonder. Be that as it may, I like your image very much!

And Michael, glad to see you found a way around a posting glitch. Let’s see if this one makes it.

IMG_5497_BWNot Taken Through A Muddy Window

Participant

Thank you Keelin!  On my turn I enjoy your interpretations and wonderment of my and Michael’s pictures very much.

Funny title for your picture Not Taken Through A Muddy Window, but I would bet it was!  Again the mind can’t help but wonder.

As to the glitch I don’t have a clue, Michael. At this moment I don’t have problems with posting a picture since the image upload functionality has gone AWOL on the 11 th of August. That temporarily glitch was fixed almost the same day. Earlier this year I had the problem that several posts did not get published. Then I discovered that publishing in visual mode of a text with a hyperlink and an image added caused the problem. I had to edit the post with the link in text mode and that way the post was published well. So now, having only a picture and text I usually post in visual mode and that works well. When I have a link to be published I enter it in text mode. Editing afterwards in visual mode is possible I discovered. So far so good on my side. When this doesn’t help and you have a clear reproducible glitch I can advise to document it including screenshots of the steps you make together with applicable messages and send it to support. I experienced that Gavin will respond to solve it. I hope this helps.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0138 B&W ns99-219 klein

Trespassing?

Participant

Nice layers of textures Keelin! , And thanks for the tips Hans. Lets see what happens with this one:

A Misadventure

july0315a6647

Participant

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0124 B&W klc S  klein

Flock No Floccus

Participant

Right Turn…or Watching Irma All Day

june2716a5743

Participant

He Watched Irma And Wasn’t Amused

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0274 B&W uitnede asr klein

Participant

Thank you both for kind words. Not Taken Through A Muddy Window was a surprise for me too. The color version was so cold looking with its steely blue and grey hues. It was just for a lark that I cast it in B&W — and liked the results. More of that playful exploration we’ve talked about here.

Speaking of play… Hans, your titles continue to leave me giggling. What is your Trespasser up to? Some kind of Misadventure? He’d best watch out and not step in the Sticky Stuff.

IMG_4761_BW_StickyStuff

PS: Michael, caught your ghostly apparition on the CAS gallery. Wow!

Participant

True Irma has not been amusing but engrossing ,yes, heart breaking coming in on the heels of Harvey and now Jose also spreading havoc in the region. The size of these cyclones is disturbing. And what a disturbing path Keelin has us walking. Ewww!. but surprising! I have never conceived of such when scanning the clouds., the sticky stuff! ;)

Heres one I forgot about. I hope it reproduces itself well here. I get lost in it.

june2316a5621

Participant

ERROR: Your reply cannot be created at this time.

???, except for this…

Participant

I agree Keelin. Conversion to black and white together with some photo-shopping often surprises. It is the same I experienced from the moment I got inspired by Michael to do so. Real fun. And then some text follows that seems to be the reason that the system could not create the reply and thus I had to remove it. I found this out by trying. Nothing harmful in the text imho. Something about a smiling trespasser having stepped in something (just rephrasing).

Are there any more pictures you forgot about Michael? It reproduced very well. It is a very peaceful scenery to get lost in.

Less peaceful are the cyclones. Luckily Jose has chosen a path away from the islands. At this moment Irma is ravaging Florida. What terrible powers seemingly harmless elements like water, wind and warmth are able to make loose! In this case they produce no innocent clouds for sure.

2017-08-14 Pileus_0034 B&W ac klein

Havoc

Participant

Seemingly a plugin of WordPress is used that checks a blacklist of words before creating a reply. Apparently completely harmless words seem to be blocked. Maybe this was also the cause of your former problem Michael. I have had this once before and found a workaround not being aware of the cause.

Participant

Seeing the unfathomable devastation wrought by Irma and her cohorts sent me searching through archives, hoping to find an image that would offer a resting place at least for the eyes. This one’s a fair bit grainy, but it has a certain softness, like the comfort of a warm blanket. [ And no sticky stuff, Michael! ;) ]

IMG_5332_BW_cropped more

Hans, glad to see you found a work around the posting problem. Speaking of such oddities, I noticed my previous post must have gotten “stuck” along the way and ended up out of sequence.

Participant

2017-09-11 Zonsondergang_0054 B&W asr klein

At Peace Again

Participant

anybody remember the opening line to “Days Of Our Lives”?june2116a5600

Participant

I did not know about it, but now I do. Very applicable Michael.

2017-07-19 Cum_0005 B&W uitsnede asr h30c0 ac klein uit2

One Day

Participant

Clever, Michael! And Hans takes us from sand… to silk ~~~
      Below, a crossing of textures to add to our collection.

Crossing of Textures

Participant

and somewhere between  thought and tangible

july0315a6702

Participant

From sand to silk, a crossing of textures, between thought and tangible. A wonderful sequence for sure. Where can I buy a ….

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0007 B&W an klein c

Strip Of Cloth?

Participant

between perceiving and the perceived…

jan1015a2395

Participant

A strip of cloth sheered by the wind could make for a diaphanous view of what lies between perceiving and the perceived. The same force might also separate The Wheat From The Barley.

IMG_5197_BW_The Wheat From The Barley

Participant

Both beautiful textures!And I suddenly have this perception of the poor John Barleycorn:

They’ve hired men with the crab-tree sticks,
      To cut him skin from bone,
      And the miller he has served him worse than that,
      For he’s ground him between two stones.

Sounds harsh, but a very lovely song!

This will be my last contribution for a bit more ten two weeks. In he meantime I will be able to check the forum but can’t upload new ones only comment. For sure I will gather some new material. To be continued.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0132 B&W klc onsch mask klein

Blond II

Participant

The Unknown Artist wanted to post this before you take off, Hans, but you can see What Comes Of Haste. I trust Michael and I (and maybe others?) will not let this forum rest, and meanwhile, may the skies above smile upon you.

What Comes Of Haste

Participant

Water Tooth

aug1917a5635

Participant

Michael, if your Water Tooth were to be found on a gallery wall, no doubt I’d be looking at it for a long time. There’s great mystery there and the title just adds to the intrigue.

Meanwhile, I can’t help but wonder where one might find such a thing. Could it have belonged to this Lagoon Creature? She does appear to be searching for something. But don’t worry, you can see by her smile, she’s friendly, and perhaps only hoping to find an offering for the tooth fairy.

IMG_5537_BW_From the Black Lagoon

Participant

Mystery it is Keelin. May it be infinite, something to chew on for ever. ..;)

A Visit From Horus

aug2617a5976

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Michael, I believe Hora Staccato was written following an earlier visit from Horus when he brought the family? I may be wrong.

Participant

Well that one went over my head like Heifetz’s bow..I think there is not a musician alive who hasn’t done some kind of rendition of Hora Staccatomar0517a1449

Participant

How thoughtful of Horus to leave behind A Feather For Your Cap!

IMG_5308_A Feather For Your Cap

Participant

Overhead Chaos

june2715a6283

Participant

Taking Refuge In The Kelp from the wild(ly beautiful) Overhead Chaos.

IMG_5122_BW_Refuge in the Kelp

Participant

Oops! Wrong version of image and text I’d intended to post, but edit option appears to have disappeared!

Participant

July 17

july1716a6103

Participant

Great balance of movement in July 17, Michael.

IMG_5657_BW_BeneathBeneath The Surface

Participant

July 11
      july1117a4188

Participant

Looking Up at the Surface
      july0917a4008

Participant

And then there’s the Beach Dunes at Mid-Night ~~~

IMG_5784_BW_Beach Dunes at Mid-Nightt

Participant

Well..since you brought it up

july1117a4178

Participant

WOW, Michael! You have taken surreal cloud art to a whole new level. What an extraordinary gem. Love the title too. How to follow is quite a challenge…

IMG_5453_BW_It's Not What I ThoughtIt’s Not What I Was Thinking

Participant

Ha that little figural slays me! I stayed with the same cloud as above for the shot below. You can see some remnants . I like gettin in the zone and just trusting it for where it goes.

july1117a4189

Participant

Lucky for us, you stayed in that zone! Below is from another day, but also came about from not turning away from what was was developing. It has, to my eye, a odd resemblance to that funny little figura in my previous post.

IMG_5130_BW_Same Figura Different Day?

Participant

Yea, A Day Later It Was Still Going On

july2317a4881

Participant

Curiouser and curiouser, Michael!

And today, a little Friend of the Figural showed up…

IMG_5866_BW_Friend of the Figural

Participant

April 23april2316a4688

Participant

This is really fun, looking back to what you two published the last two weeks. Pictures and text as well. Thank you both. I love them all.

In July 11 I see this face of a large headed alien. A very intriguing picture, Michael! And the little figure in It’s Not What I Was Thinking is fantastic!…. and even showing up again in the pictures of Keelin.

I am happy to contribute again.

2017-09 Charigny_0137 B&W ns101-222 klein

Take Off

Participant

You were missed, Hans! Here’s Another Funny Figural welcoming you back with a wispy cloud song.

IMG_5865_BW

Participant

And Micheal, your April 23 image is as mesmerizing as the beauty of waterfalls. Here’s one that might follow such a rush of water.

IMG_5859_WB_Waterfall LandingWaterfall Landing

Participant

Thank you for your kind words Keelin. After he sound of the welcoming wispy cloud song by your Funny Figural and of the thundering waterfall maybe you can now hear the sound of the water flowing gently after having been landed.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0258 B&W asr klein

It was a good start of the day today with the ghostly apparitions from Mike in the Cloud A Day.

And lately I saw some changes in the cloud library of the cloudspotter app and discovered two great examples by Mike for lacunosus and lenticularis.

Participant

Hi Hans!, I trust you enjoyed  your vacation. Yes, Keelin and I have been having fun in the B&W. I am not a user of the Cloud App, not having a smartphone , pad, etc so I have very little understanding of what is going on there except the cloud a day  but again, i see all that on my desk top. Thanks for the heads up!. And I notice your parhelic circle experience is in the Gallery!  I wish every cloudspotter  the profound ” Awesome” Astounding” experience of witnessing a parhelic circle.  Its a sublime expression of beauty by nature.

and heres

A Slice of Cloud

april0916a4235

Participant

Thanks Michael. I enjoyed my vacation and the parhelic was part of it. And the 120 degrees parhelion on top of it! This was the first picture I took in a series of five pictures (here also doing well in B&W) of the great fibratus sky wavering over the trees when I saw this bright spot between the trees.

2017-09 Charigny_0154 B&W ns89-245 klein

That was the moment I took a wider view and discovered its nature by noticing the parhelic together with a bright sundog. Quickly mounting the wide angle was necessary to capture the whole picture. It was a matter of minutes before it disappeared. These atmospheric optics are sure sublime to experience!

Participant

Wow and Wow!! Michael, your gallery cloud on Tuez was a dooz-ie. As is your fibratus wavering sky, Hans. I toast you both with this humble sky brew.

IMG_5848_BW_Ægir's CupÆgir’s Cup

Participant

Perfect Rice

june2715a6278

Participant

An intoxicating brew, Keelin. Some Perfect Rice is needed to give some ground.

But what’s that about a gallery cloud on Tuez from Michael, Keelin? I can’t find a clue……..

2017-09 Charigny_0174 B&W uitsnede ac klein

The Arrow Of Time Inevitably Pointing To Volume VI Of This Thread

Participant

Ah! Sorry to mislead, Hans. I was actually referring to Michael’s featured Cloud of the Day. My error brings a question for Gavin though: Could the Cloud of the Day photos that have been taken by CAS members be added into the Gallery?

Volume V has been delicious (Perfect Rice and all) — and I trust Volume VI will be a delightful romp for the senses as well. The Arrow of Time is flying swiftly!

Meanwhile, the great wind eraser made a pass at a lingering contrail… but missed in a few places.

Contrail_What Remains To Be Seen_horizontal_BWWhat Remains To Be Seen

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.