Circular Crow Contrail

Circular Crow Contrail

Forums The Cloud Forum Circular Crow Contrail

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

In the Black and White Thread Volume I I posted some pictures showing contrail with the effects of Crow instability. There is a lot of contrail over here and the effect of the Crow instability can be seen every now and then. Like yesterday. What was special was that the the contrail in some cases metamorphosed in chains of circles or separate circles showing clearly the circular motion of the vortices that the wingtips of the airplane seem to induce in the air.

2017-03-13 Circles_0017 B&W uitsnede ns klein

The picture above shows contrail with rather typical Crow instability.

Participant

2017-03-13 Circles_0022 B&W uitsnede ns klein

Here you can see the remaining of the contrail in circles like a diver letting escape some air under water.

Participant

2017-03-13 Circles_0025 B&W uitsnede ns kelin

A close up of the contrail makes the circular contrail look like a chromosome or an X-ray scan of something bony.

Participant

I am curious whether these strange shaped contrails – from now on to be called Homogenitus? – will also be included in the new International Cloud Atlas (ICA). I look forward for the announced online publication of the ICA. May I assume that will be per March 23, 2017?

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Looks that way Hans.. Contrail in Gallery shots is being mentioned as homogenitus..man made.  23rd should be fun!

Dr. Robert Williams avatarDr. Robert Williams
      Participant

Cool shot!  Especially the left-over circles.  Is this possibly a Karman vortex street?

Participant

It is not a von Karman vortex street I think. This should be V.C.I., vortex crow instability. Googling on this you will find examples like the first picture. I did not find examples on the internet of these perfectly circular leftovers of the contrail. They seem to be the last phase of the contrail before disappearing completely. There are also some recent examples on the gallery of this phenomenon. The wingtips of the airplane induce vortices that make these strange patterns in the contrail. Last few days over here were very favorable for this phenomenon and living near a lot of air traffic I could make a lot of new  pictures of even stranger patterns.

Participant

Mister Crow is looking us in the eye..

2017-03-25 Wolken_0108 uitsende2 asr klein

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.