How to make the difference

How to make the difference

Forums The Cloud Forum How to make the difference

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Corinne Reti avatarCorinne Reti
      Participant

Hello,

Could anyone tell me how I can mzkr the difference between an altocumulus stratoformis and a stratocumulus ? Thank you !

Corinne

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

These names are indeed confusing Corinne. Their appearances are not. Stratocumulus is a low level (main type) cloud and has large clumps covering large parts of the sky. Altocumulus is a mid level (main type) cloud so there is a larger distance from which you can see them. That is the reason why they seem to be a lot smaller. Their appearances are mostly cloudlets but also sometimes lenses or rolls. The addition stratiformis to altocumulus is the name of one of the many species of stratocumulus used when the cloudlets extend over a large area in rows.

Do you know about the cloudspotter app? I can recommand it, for it has a library of all kind of clouds and optical phenomena with clear descriptions and above all beautiful pictures of examples.

Happy cloudspotting!

Corinne Reti avatarCorinne Reti
      Participant

Thank you Han for your answer.

Yes, I definitely need the app. But I saw it only works on IPhones unfortunately. So until it works with Android  (why not??), I’ll purchase one of the books I saw on the online shop.

Thanks again,

Corinne

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Corinne, welcome along; while waiting for the book (I like books) you could try the new on-line Cloud Atlas

https://cloudatlas.wmo.int/home.html

It takes some getting used to (I’m not there yet) but if you search ‘Ac str’ at the top right it will take you to a list with Ac str at the top which you can click on.

Good Luck

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

stratocumulus+altocumulusI was lucky earlier today to capture both clouds in one shot. The darker clouds that cover most of the sky, but especially at the lower and right side of the picture are stratocumulus. In the upper middle and left, they have some holes that allow you to see the higher layer of altocumulus stratiformis, the white clouds.

Now, stratocumulus are not always so dark, so that is not the best indicator, but the size of their elements is clearly larger.

Hope this helps a bit.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.