Not B&W

Not B&W

Forums The Cloud Forum Not B&W

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

2016-10-09 Clouds_0026 klen

A very-close-up of a fringe of a cloud at setting sun.

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Very nice! What camera are you using?

Participant

Thank you George.

I use a Canon EOS 7D. This one was taken with a telezoom (100-400 mm) at 400 mm. It reaches far.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

feb2215b3244Hans,,Nice work!..Photographing iridescence is a bit tricky. I’ve been spoiled here in the desert. It seems like just about any alto cloud passing near the sun iridescence is manifested but thin stratus in its variations produce a lot of color when near the sun.

It looks like you figured out the exposure problem as well..I start at least 1/2 an f stop underexposed and may go all the way to 1.5 to 2 F stops under exposed..Depends on how near to the sun I get. And there is the danger..the sun . And thats another reason I like a Good tele zoom. I can zoom in and keep the sun out and if need be, slowly zoom out, while panning around the sun picking off the wild colors.
      Nice set up you have. I currently am using the 6D with a 28-300 lens and have a 17-40 when I need the extra wide. Yet, Im looking at the new 5’s ; the one with the built in Time Lapse (5R) is driving me crazy.

Its been awhile since any one posted iridescence. Myself and Andy Kirk use to post quite a bit of the iridescence. Attached is a shot of a good patch of it. With the new upload ability now everyone can jump in the fun.

Participant

This is very good advice as I am looking to buy a DLSR. Thank you. And (not to change the subject) as I was looking for cameras with time-lapse, I found this on DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4861277900/vorticity-the-beauty-of-storm-chasing

Participant

Thank you both for your comments and…. wow George, I never saw a better time-lapse before. The movement takes pace with the music. The film is really well structured. Love it.

I would like to have the time lapse feature also on my camera. Since it is not built in I have been looking for other solutions, but I think I need advice on that one. I read that the built in timelapse on the 5D is driving Michael crazy and I admit it drives me crazy too. The budget is the problem, so maybe another solution outside the camera will help.

As to iridescence, it is nice to read that Michael likes the B&W approach as well as the colorful iridescence.( Nice example you added Michael). It turns out that we have this in common.

I recognize the problems with capturing iridescence and the way you use the telezoom, Michael. Furthermore I experienced that the result always seems to be a pale reflection of what I really saw through the lens. In the beginning I hesitated to add contrast by photoshopping, but I discovered that the right bit of photoshopping gives a result that seems to be more real than the unshopped version. Our brains do clearly different things with contrast then a programmed digital camera.

This summer I saw a lot of iridescence. Some of the pictures will come up later. Let’s jump in the fun, like Michael said.

There are also some B&W’s to post. And that makes me think that there is an opportunity for a separate gallery with only B&W’s. There must be certainly enough material.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Hans, I would not want a separate gallery (or forum) for B&W. I think Michael agrees, below, in 187749. By all means a separate thread.

Participant

I agree with you both, Hygge

Participant

2016-09 France_0448 uitsnede2 nv

Participant

nov3014b1396Hans,,,Intervalometer…thats the word..a stand alone interval timer..Canon makes a model or two .Nikon may make one,,and the accessory market has a few you can choose from. For Time Lapse movie making, they are a lot less expensive than the 5DR..Im not sure but the new Canon 80D may also have one built in..maybe not.

A while back, at CAS’s original website,,a separate B&W Thread was created and maintained I’m not so sure one is necessary. For displaying pics its of little consequence to me, but for observing, a B&W Titled Thread makes them easy to find. So, SURE!

On underexposing; I shoot with the idea that I will process the pic. I have Adobe Lightroom and use it religiously. I shoot with what Adobe can do in mind. In other words..I don’t shoot with the idea of making a perfect shot right out of the camera. I like dodging and burning and contrast and tints and saturation..etc etc control work. Digital bends the techniques but is a lot more fun and inexpensive than film, light and chemical. So Shooting iridescence is all about bringing up the contrasts and saturation to ones liking. Iridescence close to the Sun is impossible to look at with the naked eye anyway, so the camera and processing is just as much the message as the messenger, imho. I do not feel bad or guilty about ” photoshopping” my pics. I’ve been known to ” help fix” other folk’s pics. I see it as..a Photograph..not reality. The craft is ” fixing”a Shot so that no one notices all the work you did on it to make it perfect…I guess what I am saying is…reality isn’t perfect, but a Photograph can be close. Adobe Lightroom is a great processing software package. Its not ” Adobe Photoshoppe” which is closer to a ” Printing Shop” analogy,,rather Lightroom is closer to the old school ” Photo Lab” analogy. But there are plenty of bells and whistles with Lightroom to keep one exploring for a long time. Just remember,,what are we trying to communicate with a picture..

And yes..I have a couple of years of backlog and of course everyday forward with clouds in the sky just adds to the album.

MEL

Participant

Thank you Michael. Intervalometer is the word I googled immediately around and found a lot of information. Later to decide.

Thanks for your tips for using Lightroom. Acually I have it already installed but still use Photoshop elements. I think I have to develop some more experience with it. It has endless possibilities.

It is funny that Lightroom is like old school developing pictures in a darkroom. In old school days a good picture was also manipulated. Only the tools were different. So I left my hesitation to photoshop behind me and try to keep close to reality which is also a matter of taste. For pictures of iridescence I found out that photoshopping often gives better matches with reality than the original picture. The original often – but not always – seems to miss the splendor. So forward we go!

Participant

2016-09 France_0063 klein

This one is not photoshopped. Doing so gave no satisfying results because of the part that is already ovexposed.

Still a flaming lion can be seen.

Participant

2016-09 France_0185 uitsnede ns klein

Participant

2014-06-13 CZA 001 uitsnede ns klein

Elegant sundog

Participant

2017-02-15 Wolken_0048 ns klein

Pink instability

Participant

The Hans pink instability :-)

Participant

So more pinks at sunset

2016-08-01 Wolken_0035 uitsnede klein

I wish to think Turner would have liked this view

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

No doubt Turner would have liked your view very much, Hans. It feels so restful to my eyes, I’d like to carry it into my next dream. And here’s a nice soft blanket for the nap.
      BlueBlanket

Blue Blanket

Participant

Thank you very much Keelin. I like to see the blue version of the blanket in this thread. Watch out while taking a nap. You might miss something.

2015-06 CHA eo_0050 uitsnede ns klein

Participant

Catching up on this thread …

Hans, I don’t think your last shot is iridescence, maybe section of a halo, which would be rarer. Or sun dog? Very nice.

Now, I did buy the camera I mentioned a while back. I got a Sony alpha 6300. And for telephoto, a 50-210 mm. I think that’s enough to start. It’s amazing what a telephoto can do. And the 24MPix helps too. A couple of shots, with some enhancing.

DSC00050-enhDSC00095-enh

Participant

It is indeed no iridescence George. It was a sundog. The sundog appeaered in a rather blue part of the sky, where the cirrus that produces the sundog was hardly to see. Together with the gentle cumulus it made a colorful composition.

Nice camera and it must be fun to explore the possibilities. You captured the full moon well. In this thread you can read the tips Michael made on capturing iridescence. It is always a challenge to capture it well and some – but certainly not too much – enhancement often helps to meet the reality better, like next one.

2014-09 Frankrijk_0024 ns klein

In Between

Participant

A bit of iridescence above textured wingsIrridescence_20170317

Participant

Another tip or two while i was Thinking about, Canon offers choice for when shooting under cloudy conditions or when in bright sun light. I’ve found just because its cloudy out is NOT a good reason to switch over to ” cloudy” as far as white balance etc goes. Canon Cloudy translates to WARM , yellows etc. I have found to keep the color as I like them,,I don’t switch to ” cloudy” Especially when shooting irridescense . I don’t shoot thru filters when shooting irridescense either.

Sun flare is another problem when shooting for irridescense. Take a few seconds to see when the clouds start showing colors in relationship to how close they are to the sun. Remember, the eye/mind naturally goes to the brightest part of a pic.

feb2215b3253

Participant

Michael, Thank you so much for thoughtful radiance and guidance. The ethereal image you posted on Dec 13 and the gentle one by Hans on March 5 especially continue to draw my eye and inspire. Irresistible iridescence!

Participant

Just to blow some new life in this thread

2017-04-10 Wolken_0016 ac klein

Not Taken From A Plain, Just From The Ground

Participant

2017-04-18 Wolken_0171 hmidmin cmidplus asr klein

Lots Of Gentle Colors

Participant

Once again, Hans, you’ve managed to be in the right place at the right time to capture a magical moment. Lovely!

PS: And hartelijk gefeliciteerd for having your Aveyron image chosen as this past Saturday’s cloud of the day!

Participant

Dank je wel Keelin, twee maal!

I was surprised to see my picture in the Cloud a Day together with a nice explanation.

Participant

2017-09-11 Zonsondergang_0055klc S klein

This IS A Sunset

Participant

2017-09-11 Zonsondergang_0044 hmin20 an klein

And So Is This

Participant

Hans, your Sunsets are absolutely heerlijk! Below is a far cry from where you began this thread, but I share it here for two reasons. 1) where else would this non-B&W image fit? ;) and 2) to show what can be seen when contrast is pushed. The sky was odd looking yesterday and I had no idea what would come of playing with it in post-production. Another instance of following intuition.

IMG_5640

This Is An Afternoon

Participant

With the belief that any cloudspotter with a iphone or equivalent  or better, has sunset shots they are proud of, a suggestion of a separate thread for sets and rises.?  Traditional shots to the pushing the limits shots be welcomed so all can join in the fun? With your two great starter shots there Hans , along with Keelins bounds pushing shot  , things could get rolling quick!

Participant

Thank you both! And wow,  This Is An Afternoon was certainly worth following your intuition Keelin! Very intriguing picture and great composition. There is so much to explore in color. Like in B&W some enhancement gives sometimes amazing results although it is easier in color to overdo it and get kitsch.

So I like the suggestion of Michael. Maybe others will jump in. Because I will shortly be on a vacation I pick that one up later (unless someone else already wants to start this new topic?).

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0182 asr klein

Delicate Sundog

Participant

On the home page today an exhibition by Catherine Erb is announced. I like the colored cloud scenes she makes very much. She manipulates in a way that adds something to a picture without making it look artificial.

A quote from her (found via the links on the home page): “I love dirty, nasty glass that I can put in front of my lenses and filters so it’s like I’m shooting through a veil. I mean, we all look at life through our own veils, so why not play with that?”

Nevertheless bounds pushing shots (now quoting Michael).

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Iridescense by Andrew Kirk

Photo Gallery

Participant

Michael suggested some posts ago in this thread to start a thread for sunsets and sunrises. Then maybe others will jump in with colorful sunsets and sunrises to be proud of.

I still like the suggestion of Michael but now I thought the thread is already there with the title Not B&W. The title gives no limitation to sunsets or sunrises, so let’s continue and jump in with sundogs, iridescence, sunsets or ‘just’ a blue and white composition to share here that finds no way to the gallery.

2017-09 Charigny_0191 uistnede klc S klein

Luminescent Jellyfish

Participant

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0029 ns50-255 ac

One Of These Days

Participant

I can understand Ian’s position on photoshopped shots, yet its a difficult place to be. Drawing a line between acceptable and not …well thats what an  editor gets to do. Iridescence is very rarely as photos show it.

This one demanded patience. I kept checking in  on the halo I first spotted around 2pm. The sundogs began sprouting arms as the afternoon progressed. Around 3:30 pm they started  stretching and for a few minutes as foto shows, the right kind of high altitude ice crystals  came along and voila’  , a parhelic circle formed. Seems like a once a year occurrence for me..nov0317b7563

Participant

All true, Michael and no problem at all. I wrote once before that capturing iridescence mostly is a bit disappointing relative to what you saw in reality. Our eyes and brain do certain things with relative brightness that is hard to reproduce.

Great parhelic circle you spotted! I had the opportunity myself some times this year already, but never saw it growing. Looking up pays off with these optical rarities, you once stated yourself.

2017-09 Charigny_0194 asr klein

Always Keep An Eye Open

Participant

I love the subtle sundog surprise in your parhelic circle image, Michael. And wow! Always Keep An Eye Open is like some kind of rainbow-finned wonder, Hans. Beautiful! I keep looking…

Participant

You are all so right about the challenge of capturing the subtle colors of iridescence, sundogs and the like. In the image below (taken just this past September), I pushed the contrast to make them more apparent. I’m guessing it was too much adjustment for the Gallery, so I’m very grateful to have this forum thread for sharing it.

IMG_5748_22˚hued

Participant

You are right Keelin, here we can push it as far as we like. Do I see a part of the 22 degrees halo? I wondered where the sun must be relative to the sundog.

Nevertheless here is one I did not push at all. I used it already in the Black and White thread and gave it extra contrast which worked for the B&W version, but this is the original, just made almost kitsch by nature herself.

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0025 c klein

Participant

You do indeed see a portion of the 22˚ halo, Hans. And here’s another from a morning last Spring. I posted a different image from the short series I took of it to our B&W thread last summer. It was the first one I’d ever seen and it took my breath away! This one, too, did better with a bump in contrast.

It’s so true, though, that Mother Nature can go wild all by herself with her palette sometimes. And it looks like you caught her in the act!

22˚

Participant

Keeling, nice, a halo with colors!  Did you look directly up to check for a CZA?

This is a lucky shot from a few weeks ago, the sun dog was very intense. Picture taken with iphone 6, not edited. When using the DSLR, I set the exposure compensation to some negative value to preserve the colors. Here it worked very well without tricks (other than a bit of cropping and whatever an iphone does under the covers).

sundog

Participant

Keelin and George, you both caught mother nature in the act with the 22 degrees halo and sundog.

I will remember this figure of speech you introduced, Keelin. And George, you gave a good advise to look up when the sun is sufficiently low (below 32 degrees above the horizon) to search for a CZA. Even when there is no 22 degrees halo and cirrostratus and / or cirrus is overhead a CZA might appear when the sun is low enough. I experienced that a CZA is not that rare when you look up frequently enough in the right conditions. Mother nature hides a CZA round the zenith and normally we don’t wonder that high, but doing so will let you catch mother nature red-handed, or even better:  rainbow-handed.

Participant

A brilliant shot of brilliance, George! Seeing something like that would have me doing the Sundog Dance for sure. And thanks for suggestions from both you and Hans to look more up than up. Indeed, I’ll remember that for next time.

Looking further through archives here, this is the only other 22˚ halo I’ve captured so far with my camera (iPhone 5s). Pushing the contrast to this extend, still leaves the colors faint, but the excitement of seeing it undiminished.

IMG_5739_contrast & crop

Participant

One day this past October, I am walking in the park, where I have a good view of the skies, and looking around, I see conditions conducive to CZAs. So I look up and, sure enough, there is one. Not outstanding but visible. I start taking pictures with the app. A man, curious, stops by and asks what am I taking pictures of. I just point and look up. He looks for a little while and then says: “Oooh, rainbow … but no rain!?”

An optical phenomenon, I explain. I think he was happy to learn something new.

Participant

Keeling, speaking of sundog dance, how about a dancing sundog?

:-)

Participant

Nice story George! It adds to the fun of spotting an optical pheneomenon.

Nice film too. I don’t wanna spoil your wordplay, but I suppose you know it is a subsun you see dancing on the hillside? Quite unique.

2017-09 Charigny_0079 s9h0c30 klein

Stray Sundog

Participant

Thanks for the dance, George ~~ mesmerizing! As is your Stray Sundog, Hans. The varied dark greys in the background enhance the dramatic quality perfectly.

Here, the early evening sky a few days ago was like a gallery of Monet’s Water Lilies.

IMG_6284_crop

Participant

Keelin, you are absolutely right! Beautiful.

Hans, yes, the video author explained in the text it’s a subsun, but the video title was dancing sundog, so why not play along? Your stray sundog is cute.

Participant

Indeed George, I did suppose so. I like the wordplay and the film.

Monet would be proud Keelin. It is certainly him.

2017-03-31 Luchten_0016 asr

The Blues

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.