The scent of new rain – Question – Answers please

The scent of new rain – Question – Answers please

Forums The Cloud Forum The scent of new rain – Question – Answers please

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Could someone “out there” enlighten me upon something which has puzzled me long time?

Why is it  after a dry spell, particularly dry, long and rather hot, when, thankfully, the rain comes there is almost an immediate  lovely fresh scent  of something “given up” which seems to emanate from either the soil, the air or maybe from the plants and trees?  All I can say, is that the scent / smell is enticing and lovely.

Any thoughts, please?  I am curious about this.

Thank you.

Laurence

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

LG ..I get an ” earthy” smell. I’ve always assumed its the dirt in the air being washed and pushed around by the falling rain..Here in the desert,,the Dry desert,,my  nose drys out easily..So a daily rinse helps keep  the smell glands doin their job. On a Hot day..in crowds an what not..that may not be such a great idea tho.

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Laurence, your question surely prompts a smile as it inspires memories of such occasions. Ah, that first gift of rain! And there’s even a special word for that lovely fresh scent: Petrichor, which is defined as “a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.”

Participant

Dear all

Mystery solved with due and grateful thanks to all of you who have kindly taken the time to reply to my query.  I am now enlightened and now know something I did not know hitherto  As ever, one learns so much from the CAS!

“Petrichor”  is something I have not, till now, heard or known about.  Thanks to the guidance given I did a bit of “digging” on the internet and came across this article featured our UK Meteorological Office – here it is:-

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/rain/petrichor

I hope other members find this as interesting as I did.

I am certainly one of those blokes who can smell rain in the offing and when it comes the scent of new rain is truly delightful.  It ranks as one of my most favourite smells along with that of newly mown grass.  I keenly recall the first rain from the dreadful droughts of 1976 and even more so, 1991.  The smell of new rain was simply gorgeous in no small way.  It almost made me drunk – and that is without having a beer or glass of wine!

My renewed thanks to you all for satisfying my innate curiosity.  I am grateful

Best wishes.

Laurence

Participant

While I knew of the word, I didn’t know the interesting details of the science behind it. The information at the link you’ve shared here is enlightening and the video of petrichor aerosols being release is captivating. I found myself breathing in while watching. Thank you, Laurence!

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Well, thank you both for that – I never thought it might have a name. Fascinating.

Again, reminds me of one of my favourite songs – The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

AMAZING!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant
      Participant

Hi there, Keelin

Greetings to you.

Re:- Petrichor – here we are!

Well, after a very long dry, hot  and record breaking temperatures for many parts of the UK the first rain is coming (Friday 23rd June).

I picked up on the scent of rain to come yesterday late evening and thought to myself, “Laurence, rain is on the way”.  The scent was really keen and delicious to the senses.

The rain is now just about to make a welcome, if not shy, appearance, and guess what, the scent / smell of Petrichor!  The scent is really strong and enticing.

Laurence

Participant

Laurence, so delighted to hear you’ve had your thirst quenched! The last bit of wet we’ve seen here (Napa Valley, California) was weeks ago, and like you, I savored the sweet scent of approaching rain as well as the captivating cloud display.

Alas, poor Michael. Can it be as predicted that you’ll see 116˚ this weekend? Time for us all to do the rain dance!

IMG_5009

Participant

At my suggestion just a short while ago to the BBC Weather Watchers suggesting possibly featuring an article about the enticing lovely scent of rain falling after a long dry spell, the BBC W/W’s, I am pleased to say, have featured an article – here it is:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weatherwatchers/article/40554627/smells-like-rain

Enjoy.

Laurence

Participant

Thank you, Laurence! That made my nose smile.

Participant

Hi Keelin

I liked your lovely expression, “….made my nose smile”. This is new to me –  but I love it.

I shall remember it, especially when I make a foray into a kitchen, either my own or that of a friend.  I love cooking and the lovely aromas!  Yes, I think my nose will be smiling a bit more – and longer.

Best wishes – keep smiling.

Laurence

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.